driver found guilty of causing crash

Re:

It's amazing and still contains many parts people are complaining a out in reporting.

"suffering serious injuries in a crash caused by a car,"

"She hit a traffic island after a car "aggressively" overtook her and her father and then braked suddenly in front of them near their home."

That's a very naughty and aggressive car, I hope they also jailed the car for doing all of that and have put it on some anger management therapy.

There seems to be a lot of trouble cars nowadays. Maybe it's the lack of Lead causing illnesses in the car population?

I know we have automated cars now, but not quite KITT yet.

But yes, driving a car as a weapon is a legal loophole in murder and manslaughter and related crimes.

I suspec the problem was in proving intent rather then mere carelessness. A shockingly light fine for such a life-changing outcome. It doesn't exactly send a warning to others, does it?

hamster":dnr93uor said:
I suspec the problem was in proving intent rather then mere carelessness. A shockingly light fine for such a life-changing outcome. It doesn't exactly send a warning to others, does it?
Like accidentally shooting a gun at somebody while aggressively pointing it at them.

Why should carelessness be allowed while driving what is a lethal weapon.
But then how do you charge an non-living object?
I do understand the poor fellow in the car couldn't stop it from deciding to do all those things and he got what he deserved, a good slap on the wrists and told to take care of that good for nothing car, and teach it some manners.

Re:

In 40 years of off road cycling, I’ve had various off-road tumbles, one of those serious. It was my fault. I learned, I think.

In 40 years of riding on the road, I have had friends killed by cars (one left dead by the side of the road after a hit and run - he was an incredibly competent cyclist), I have had friends badly injured by drunk drivers (Sunday morning ride), had my back broken (motorcyclist coming through a red light whilst I was on a green), been shouted and sworn at repeatedly for riding two aside on wide roads (including one person who actually nearly ran into us whilst shouting ‘you shouldn’t be riding like that’ from an open top car, whilst on the widest two-lane road in Brighton, and much entirely unwarranted shouted abuse from people who found it very funny to slow down and hurl insults. In the early days of helmet wearing the abuse was constant and tedious. In the narrow lanes where we live, I fret every time I hear a car coming from behind since I have had so many incidents with overtaking cars misjudging my speed.

I’ve just had enough of riding on the road. I commute, but ride extremely defensively. But that’s it. I hate road riding. I went out once with my son last year, and yep, 10 minutes out a guy starts hooting and shouting because we are riding as a pair, within the law, him slowing to shout out of the window at us, on a section of clear road, no other cars anywhere in sight - he could easily have indicated and passed us.

I cycle a lot. But now it’s all off road. Where people are relaxed and pleasant. Where birds sing, daisies grow and bunnies hop. And where I sometimes f==k up, but it’s all my own fault.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":bnj7dvj7 said:
It's amazing and still contains many parts people are complaining a out in reporting.

"suffering serious injuries in a crash caused by a car,"

"She hit a traffic island after a car "aggressively" overtook her and her father and then braked suddenly in front of them near their home."

That's a very naughty and aggressive car, I hope they also jailed the car for doing all of that and have put it on some anger management therapy.

Quite, if it was a bicycle that caused the accident, they wouldn't be talking about an aggressive bike.

I am always extremely wary around the local drivers aged 70+ as they always drive fixed gaze looking ahead. Zero chance of being spotted if you're in their periphery. Doubtless this driver didn't even see poor Lauren.

As an aside, I have a lot of sympathy for women and street harassment - because as a regular bicycle user for 40+ years, I've had to put up with all kinds of crap from shouting, close passes, spitting, and even being attacked and badly beaten by three guys

Re:

We refer to the wagons at work as 20 ton killing machines but I don't think the drivers fully appreciate how serious we are.

Back