Anther death on a dangerous decent

Bigger tyres, brakes and suspension will make it safer.

Given all the features they've added to vehicles with four wheels and they still damage to kill themselves (and others) that's not a route not to go...

Maybe full body skeleton strengthening clothing with airbags. Proper helmets with hans like devices etc.
Protect that rider.
Rotor and cog guards and...

It's the name of the game. Like the Isle of Mann TT. :)
Agree. But for me generally bikers at the TT are older and they are going a lot lot lot faster (no deaths this year??) With out seeing footage of the crash hard to decide.

The riders have the choice whether to compete or not. They are adults and know the risks involved.
Taking that choice away shouldn’t be a consideration as it’s another step towards nanny state whether it be cycling or TT.

It’s sad when riders die but having attended the TT for many years it’s very obvious the riders thrive on the danger and love the sport.

Every person has their own appetite for danger. Let the person decide in my view. Too many things in life we are told what to do.

I’ve recently decided to give up motorbikes due to the birth of my daughter. Risk was too much when it would impact her life drastically if something happened. But most importantly it was my own choice of what level of risk I’m comfortable with at this point in life.

To add to the above, they are professionals, able to calculate and act on the dangers. Spectators are merely that, and only able to imagine the dangers from their own perspective.

Won't be possible for all routes, but one possibility could be to separate out the downhill section out from the climb. That way competitors have a chance to put on protection ala downhill mountain bikers before the downhill. Given how traditional road cycling is though, I can't see it happening.

This is tricky. I've witnessed my brother go over the barriers in the Alps 20 years ago (head injuries, broken ankle, broken pelvis, broken wrist, fairly concussed. He was in a state and bike parts, pannier bags all over the place). It's only because he fell through a tree still clipped in the bike that saved him. He was air lifted out of the ravine to Grenoble.

That's the very issue really - it's what is or what isn't the other side of the barrier which makes it so dangerous. I believe no amount of cycle tech or race adjustments could make things better and professional riders will still want to push the limit to please fans, sponsors and themselves. It's the road and location the real threat. It's the nature of the beast too, there's no escaping the ups and downs and there aren't short-cuts, and no I'm not saying let's race in a fully controlled environment like a velodrome either.

Perhaps safety netting on the absolute most dangerous fast corner sections where emergency services would be severely delayed to provide urgent assistance and the consequences of a split micro second mis-calculation would be mortal is a potential answer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back