Anther death on a dangerous decent

Can't remember what race it was, something later in his career (Words or Olympics?) in fairly damp conditions and he was billed to be the favourite. The descending was atrocious from him - he just didn't seem to get round the corners. Think it may have been due to carbon rims or something. The women's event was the same; felt like I was watching skills and technology go backwards. Was painful to watch so many riders going down.
Brazil Olympic Road race was like that on the descent of the main climb…resurfaced road, rainstorm etc…undoubtedly some dodgy rims and tyres forced on some riders….some very good bike riders caught out in that race. Pros don’t always get to select their equipment.

Reactions: Woz
Errrrr
That he is a she.
Oops!

In my defence, I've never heard of her.
Can't remember what race it was, something later in his career (Words or Olympics?) in fairly damp conditions and he was billed to be the favourite. The descending was atrocious from him - he just didn't seem to get round the corners. Think it may have been due to carbon rims or something. The women's event was the same; felt like I was watching skills and technology go backwards. Was painful to watch so many riders going down.
If that many riders are going down it's unlikely to be due to rider skill or the lack of it, far more likely that the latest tech isn't suitable for the conditions or the riders haven't learnt the limits of the new kit or it could just be the usual freshly resurfaced road that isn't as grippy as you'd expect.

What gets me with modern tech, notably stuff made of carbon is that it seems to break far too easily in the event of a crash compared to older kit. Perhaps they need to make it a bit heavier and a lot stronger ?

Pros and pro teams don't care. They have an almost unlimited supply of spares.
That maybe so but this is where the governing bodies should insist and test that the bikes are robust enough to survive the race without falling apart. For example there has been a spate of carbon handlebars that have snapped on riders whilst riding. Sooner or later a rider is going to be seriously injured, maimed for life or even killed when one of these bars fails on them.

To be a little more serious than my previous post; I have ridden with and without safety protection (helmet, gloves [mtb type]) about equal times in my life so about 25 yrs with, and 25 yrs w/o; and during those time frames given the types of mishaps (due to my own fault, other riders, vehicles, and/or weather, etc.) I have experienced, it would not have made much difference in the long run regardless of speed since it was mostly dictated by when and where the incident occurred.
I have been completely blow off a road by the wind before, but luckily no ravine or cliff drop off when it happened; nor wall/pole etc. to run into. A truck knocked me off a road in a race (where did it come from? An unmonitored side street!), but again same outcome as above. My fastest speeds were in my teens when riding down my local "hill" without care or concern; but I did that same descent a couple years ago and almost went off the side of the mountain at a much lower speed, but at a much higher level of uncomfort trying to relive my junior years while having notably worsened eyesight, reduced reaction to the conditions, and obvious reduction in skill which is perishable over time.

Never at any time was I pressured by the thought of glory, wealth, and/or peer pressure (though probably trying to impress a girl on an occassion or two!) to do what I did and take the risks I did take and still do. It is all on me! Except that darn "racing truck"!

I have participated in many sports/activities where injuries occurred from odd circumstances that had nothing to do with the perceived danger/risk level of the sport as most would think compared to the cycling, mountain climbing, scuba diving, and more; and yet hospitalization occurred because of the unpredictable irregardless of skill and preparedness.
We will do what we want, or what we feel is necessary at any given moment and we must accept that accidents can occur and their severity is at the fate of many factors which determine what the end result will be. Unfortunately, this hit me personally with the tragic untimely death of my sister a couple years ago. She was healthy, hearty, and hale; but while ice skating broke her wrist and required a plate to be inplace for healing. Less than a month or so later she passed away from what was presumed to be septicemia resulting from the medical procedure less than 48 hrs after hospital admission. I am quite sure that I could not have dissuaded my big Sis from ice skating due to the potential of injury (or death); and she was the the smart one in the family (PhD); but loved activity and adventure (she rode "crotch rocket" motorbikes) even at her passing age of 66.

That being said; please be safe (if you can) so we can continue the discussion/debate tomorrow and for years to come.

Last edited:
Pros and pro teams don't care. They have an almost unlimited supply of spares.
Pro teams are often desperate for sponsors and will take what they are given. The
To be a little more serious than my previous post; I have ridden with and without safety protection (helmet, gloves [mtb type]) about equal times in my life so about 25 yrs with, and 25 yrs w/o; and during those time frames given the types of mishaps (due to my own fault, other riders, vehicles, and/or weather, etc.) I have experienced, it would not have made much difference in the long run regardless of speed since it was mostly dictated by when and where the incident occurred.
I have been completely blow off a road by the wind before, but luckily no ravine or cliff drop off when it happened; nor wall/pole etc. to run into. A truck knocked me off a road in a race (where did it come from? An unmonitored side street!), but again same outcome as above. My fastest speeds were in my teens when riding down my local "hill" without care or concern; but I did that same descent a couple years ago and almost went off the side of the mountain at a much lower speed, but at a much higher level of uncomfort trying to relive my junior years while having notably worsened eyesight, reduced reaction to the conditions, and obvious reduction in skill which is perishable over time.

Never at any time was I pressured by the thought of glory, wealth, and/or peer pressure (though probably trying to impress a girl on an occassion or two!) to do what I did and take the risks I did take and still do. It is all on me! Except that darn "racing truck"!

I have participated in many sports/activities where injuries occurred from odd circumstances that had nothing to do with the perceived danger/risk level of the sport as most would think compared to the cycling, mountain climbing, scuba diving, and more; and yet hospitalization occurred because of the unpredictable irregardless of skill and preparedness.
We will do what we want, or what we feel is necessary at any given moment and we must accept that accidents can occur and their severity is at the fate of many factors which determine what the end result will be.

That being said; please be safe (if you can) so we can continue the discussion/debate tomorrow and for years to come.
I get it Jesper - but this is the job for a Pro, so employees, employers and organizers have a duty of care. Of course there is risk - it’s a bike race. The question is when does a Loose approach to risk become negligent? Letting clearly concussed riders remount and ride an alpine stage for example?

Pro teams are often desperate for sponsors and will take what they are given. The

I get it Jesper - but this is the job for a Pro, so employees, employers and organizers have a duty of care. Of course there is risk - it’s a bike race. The question is when does a Loose approach to risk become negligent? Letting clearly concussed riders remount and ride an alpine stage for example?
And certainly in my case with the vehicle the fault was on the organizers who failed to stop traffic/close intersections, etc. I was lucky only to receive minor injuries, but still enough to take me out that day.

Back