Anther death on a dangerous decent

the viking trophy race at the IOM
I went to IMO Cycle week once. My claim to fame is that I lost the main time trial - once round the TT circuit - by one second. One second and it has rankled with me for XXXX years. Lost it because marshal was in wrong place at Governor's Bridge and not knowing the road I went wrong. GRRRR.
For many years I had a photo of the scoreboard on the finishing straight with my name right at the top.
Couldn't do it now. I would struggle to get round at all!

Spot on.

@pigman. You knew Henry too? Damned good rider. Far better than I ever was. Nice guy too. You from up this way?
No, not from up there at all. But when you're on the race circuit you get to recognise riders
Henry stood out cos I had a friend named Henry and it was a fairly unusual name so I kinda knew him (but not in a talk-to way), was just aware of him and his name has sort of stuck with me

If you were a serious contender for the main IOM TT, you would have been in a different league to him and up there with the Darryl Websters of the cycling world

For some strange reason non of the real big hitters were there. Cycling week was beginning to lose its lustre and soon was no more. The event was won by a guy from Leeds who nobody had heard of before or since. He didn't even stay for the prize giving!

The Porthole was on Sunday. My mother had died on Friday so I was far from on form. (Father insisted I went) That's why I was passed!

His Nibs was one of the best at descending.

Can't remember what race it was, something later in his career (Words or Olympics?) in fairly damp conditions and he was billed to be the favourite. The descending was atrocious from him - he just didn't seem to get round the corners. Think it may have been due to carbon rims or something. The women's event was the same; felt like I was watching skills and technology go backwards. Was painful to watch so many riders going down.

Back