beef farmers advising lettuce farmers on how to go vegan.!!!!

Well, we all burn the stuff, all rush out to upgrade to the latest plastic toy when our contract allows, all help ourselves merrily to ore than our share of the planets respirces, so none of us are really innocent. People make a noise but aren't prepared to actually do anything themselves.

Most folk are incredible hypocrites on the subject, like John Kerry, who owns a private jet and shares in a private jet leasing firm, being made the US clinate envoy. Or the head of Stinky Wellington driving her elderly and smokey diesel car from Gloucester to London and back every day for 2 weeks to participate in climate protests. Or the Just Stop Oil protesters fly tipping a load of plastic waste on a farmers land in Warwickshire...those who make the biggest noise tend to be some of the worst offenders, and doubtless thouse having a pop at British Cycling and Shell are no different - all talk.

Meanwhile some of us just get on with it, don't own cars, grow as much of their own food as possible, have heat pumps, capture rainwater for summer cultivation, and we dont waste our breath. We quietly lead from the front while the noisemakers carry on polluting as badly, if not worse, than anyone else. As Mandela illustrated, making a noise doesn't get you what you want - setting an example of quiet dignity is the way to change things. Shell can sponsor who they want, complaining about it wont change a thing - not buying their products by reducing our consumption of fuel, plastics and nitrate felriliser will. Those being critical in lieu of actually doing something themselves would do well to remember that.

So we should keep our mouths shut and not call it out for what it is? That sounds awfully fascist.

So we should keep our mouths shut and not call it out for what it is? That sounds awfully fascist.
I never stated or implied that people should not speak out. Please do no seek to attribute words to me that were actually not spoken, that is most ungentlemanly behaviour. Some might say its awfully fascist...

I said nothing more than those that make the most noise are often the guiltiest parties and gave recent examples of such, and those that just get on with it will be the ones that ultimately change things.

The problem here is that talk is cheap, and just calling people out while carrying on with our own grossly consumption lifestyles achieves zero. It has become a socially acceptable substitute for doing nothing ourselves. Speaking out prolongs the crisis, it breeds procrastination, it doesn't solve the problem.

So you talk away. Go nuts, I'll not stop you and won't call for anyone else to stop you (and I havent actually suggested you shouldnt.) You speak out while doubtless continuing to use that companies products yourself. While you're doing that other people are putting their effort into bringing about change instead.

That is the difference between talking and doing.

Last edited:
If you wish to find fault then please do so with the statements I have actually made, and not with some imaginary comment that I did not. That sort of behaviour has a lot in common with the very folk I was passing observation upon...

Alright then. Let's start with this "imaginary" gem that you definitely didn't say:

As Mandela illustrated, making a noise doesn't get you what you want - setting an example of quiet dignity is the way to change things.

You stated that noisy protesting doesn't and hasn't resulted in change. That is plainly false for more reasons that this site has old bikes.

It also reflects what the UK Tory government have introduced: laws to restrict protesting, so only the "right" noises take place. That is one of a number of characteristics that make-up a fascist society.

By it's very definition, protesting takes a formal (let's call it quiet or dignified) and disruptive (let's call it noisy) approach. Both should and must exist.

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while simultaneously burning that company's products in your car is going to bring about change?

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while repeatedly buying unnecessary plastic consumer items made from their raw feedstock is going to bring about change?

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while eating food grown with nitrate fertiliser manafacured from that companies product is going to bring about change?

It won't. It never does. Because its the wrong conversation.

The very people doing the talking are the ones that should be the subject of the conversation, as their rampant and needless consumption is what drives the demand. That's the conversation to have if you're serious about change, and a very worth discussion. Talk about that a lot, talk loudly, and do so with my absolute blessing.

But you yourself and society at large don't want to give up your cars , mobile phones, foreign holidays, et al, so they moan about petrochemical companies sponsoring sports teams as a means of diverting attention from the very demand they create with their consurmer habits.

You will recall my first post when I stated that those that made the most noise against these companies were often the worst offendets themselves...?

You're as much a part of the problem as they are and you won't even admit it to yourself. Its symbiotic, because until society acknowledges that simple trutch theyll keep simply talking while simultaneously buying the oil companies products. They'll be playing their violins as the Titanic sinks around them. Good luck with that.

I couldn't agree more with Mr Chopper. Do your thing! If you care about the world, human rights etc make sure every choice in your life reflects this.
On my earlier point of HSBC as previous sponsors of BC, please take a moment to read this https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/company-profile/hsbc

Unless you are actually a policy maker, how and where you use your money is the biggest influence you can have.

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while simultaneously burning that company's products in your car is going to bring about change?

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while repeatedly buying unnecessary plastic consumer items made from their raw feedstock is going to bring about change?

Please explain how calling out a sports teams petrochemical sponsorship while eating food grown with nitrate fertiliser manafacured from that companies product is going to bring about change?

It won't. It never does. Because its the wrong conversation.

The very people doing the talking are the ones that should be the subject of the conversation, as their rampant and needless consumption is what drives the demand. That's the conversation to have if you're serious about change, and a very worth discussion. Talk about that a lot, talk loudly, and do so with my absolute blessing.

But you yourself and society at large don't want to give up your cars , mobile phones, foreign holidays, et al, so they moan about petrochemical companies sponsoring sports teams as a means of diverting attention from the very demand they create with their consurmer habits.

You will recall my first post when I stated that those that made the most noise against these companies were often the worst offendets themselves...?

You're as much a part of the problem as they are and you won't even admit it to yourself. Its symbiotic, because until society acknowledges that simple trutch theyll keep simply talking while simultaneously buying the oil companies products. They'll be playing their violins as the Titanic sinks around them. Good luck with that.

moving-goalpost.gif

If it wasn't for oil and gas we wouldn't now be sitting typing out these opinions. Western countries' decadence has led us on the current trajectory where we think we can suddenly enter a green utopia because the green billionaires want to shift society that way. It's more oil and gas we need as it's only then we can alleviate wider poverty through development. It doesn't mean we waste it or nor do our own bit to keep our environment pleasant, but we're hurtling towards self destruction with current policies. Shell are a legitimate company and they can sponsor who they like and if BC are now accused of greenwashing then it's their own fault for virtue signalling in the first place.

Back