do they think we're dumb? well i suppose they do.

Re:

i thought i'd chime back in on this thread, since i started it and all.

my "do they think we're dumb?" comment was not aimed at people who ride single front ring sets ups, the dumbness i speak of is that if a bike comes with a double/triple set up with gears that most people need, then remove, then pay alot of money to get one of those gears back via a different system that then needs more specific parts to make it work correctly seems dumb to me.

if a bike comes off the shelf with a single ring set that's fair enough, especially if the rider is capable of riding all conditions with that set up. the narrow wide rings are a very good system, as are the clutch mechs, all that makes sense and i accept that.

the crazy thing to me is people who need the range of gears but are convinced by the mags etc that they can do without the supposed redundant gears but then say "well, if you can't cope you can always buy all these expensive bits" but it never seems to occur to these people to just put the original set up back on!

but that wouldn't be cool would it? not to mention their mate who noticed they'd gone single ring would say "oh, you couldn't cope without the granny ring then?" with a smirk of piss take etc hinting that they aren't that fit.

does that clear up my point? i hope so.

:D

With reference to your original and clarified point OP, my feeling is that there are a number of people out there who must have the latest fad and are therefore, by decree, dumb. My thoughts have always been that back in the 80's, All Terrain Bikes as they were then touted as, required a healthy spread of gears for being able to pedal over a variety of terrains.

I found it a bit odd when 2x started to be hailed as the best thing, even when a 34 or 36 tooth cassette is used. The 1x craze was, IIRC, pushed for the XC racers, less weight and strong legs being the reasons to justify. I built up a brand new FS bike last year and steadfastly went with my tried and trusted 3x approach with a 10speed cassette, despite wavering glances from all those who see it.

The thing is, Ive also recently put together an Ala Carte, which during my collecting of various bits from here, eBay et al, was going to be a 3x9. But, until very recently, I already had a 3x9 so I changed my build to SS. Ive ridden it as a SS for a few months now and, well all i can say is that despite the obvious simplicity and the whole bike weighing in less than many road bikes, its a bit slow and too painful and felt like a waste of a very good agile, skinny steel frame with a lovely True temper OX main tubes. So I've stuck the originally purchased cassette and rear mech on it, giving a 1x9 of 32:11 - 36 (or 34, I can't remember), something I never thought I would do. As a result, the bike weighs a little more, but, it has transformed it! Its a bloody missile! Ive now ridden it around all my usual riding spots and whilst I miss being able to dump it into granny on the long steep bits and not being able to shift into a big ring for the occasional bits where this is handy, I have to say that I'm far less cynical about the 1x scenario. strangely, my average speeds have increased too.

So, I'll go with the horses for courses, if I lived somewhere more hilly/steep, then 1x would not work for me and I'd stick with 3x (which is what I'll be keeping on the FS).

Now all I need to make the Salsa really complete are some bar ends to put on the risers!

"the crazy thing to me is people who need the range of gears but are convinced by the mags etc that they can do without the supposed redundant gears but then say "well, if you can't cope you can always buy all these expensive bits" but it never seems to occur to these people to just put the original set up back on!"

You've made a good point about "redundant gears" JB. Well the road bike scene as done the same thing with
the compact double instead of the triple, and development keeps adding another sproket every three years
or so. For my riding and terrain they were a disaster - the crossover point of the rings due to no redundancy
resulted in constant front changes and using the extreme ends of the cassette which gives a crap chainline.

Couldn't stand it and eventually dumped the whole set-up. Ultimately it comes down to horses for courses
as said above and using things like the Sheldon Brown gearing calculator to help find the right set-up for you.

Back