do they think we're dumb? well i suppose they do.

Agree. MTB gets on my tits these days, everything is being meddled around with so much and often not for the better.

I run a single ring on a 4x bike but that's okay as it gets ridden on BMX tracks and downhill stuff so doesn't need the extra gearing and 2x9 on my XC bike. As for 1x10 the massive cassettes and long cage mechs just look so, so shit that I can't see myself in a hurry to 'upgrade'.

I get this to a point. The bottom line is a front down shift under heavy load is not as reliable or quick
as a rear down shift. The M750 shifters I have can do a 3 sprocket rear down shift with one firm long push; which
is about an equivalent to 10T on the front.

If you know your terrain well and can anticipate the front change, or are willing and can back off the load for a brief
time then there is rarely a problem with a front shift (except for possible chain suck).

To me where it get's silly is the crazy expensive 42T rear cassette in order to keep both the high and low gear
spread which then becomes less reliable and slower. I have never tried it, but I would doubt the rear shift is
as sharp as something with more close ratios. I have difficulty seeing a major weight saving advantage.

A good choice of chain ring sizes for a 2 x 9 set-up, or simply ditching the high end on a 1 x 9 set-up
and freewheeling suits me. :facepalm:

To me where it get's silly is the crazy expensive 42T rear cassette in order to keep both the high and low gear
spread which then becomes less reliable and slower.

well said, really just don't understand the benefit of ditching the granny ring - especially as I tend to use it so much to winch myself up hills

Personally I like the 1 x whatever set up but thats only because I also like single speed. The 1 x system works for singlespeeders because we're used to out the saddle hill attacking riding style. I favour not much lower than 1:1 ratio in my lowest gear. Using a dinnerplate sized rear sprocket does seem daft to get a 3 x whatever lowest gear. If you want low gears stick to the tried and tested 3 x system.
However since when has sense ever had anything to do with new kit, there's much that is retro that is plain stupid that we all bought into in the past even if we're too embarrased to admit it :LOL:

There's enough dumb people out there to fuel there fire so I guess they're right , me I'm sticking to 26" wheels and 2 or 3 rings up front

Re:

Well , for me it will always be 3x7 or 3x8 . Only this evening I was on the granny 24 , with a 28 at the wheel .
At which point it comes down to weight distribution , balance and skill rather than a lower gear if there is one . Can't be bothered to work out if a 30 ish chainring / 42 bottom cog is lower , but I doubt I could have ridden a steeper bit of trail if it is .
Sadly , I lost the front end and had to put a foot down :oops:
Oh the shame of it ! :facepalm:
It's also cool when you can just ride between gates/posts when your mates have to thread their enormous bars through the same gap :roll: :LOL:

At the end of the day though , it must be good for us retro fiends , as there is less competition for old tat we all know works :cool:

Mike

Re:

Been sayin this since I got back into biking. There is nothing we couldn't climb that was rideable bitd that's any easier to ride up or down today ( with the exception of a modern 10k full susser down a 2 mile 1 in 3 scree slope, with a longer travel than a Bedouin camel trader ) and the retro bikes look prettier and are generally lighter too. Same marketing BS in golf. :facepalm:

Re:

There is so much BS and marketing involved its unreal - At my local ride on Wednesday only 3 of us were still running triple rings. I was the only one with non oversize bars / stem, and I reckon the same 3 of us had non-tapered forks. One of the chaps was discussing how much better his ride would be with a dinner plate sized cog at the rear. I told him to spend his money on riding lessons and learn to ride the hills properly. I don't think he took it the right way... Although if you think its bad in mountain biking you've not seen anything compared to triathons!

I really like my 1x10. Been running it for a few years now and I can't say it's really holding me back. I like it for it's simplicity and for it's lack of mud clogging. It's never been a weight saving initiative.

Horses for courses though. If you're a bit of a stomper then it's great, but if you're more of a spinner then it'll never be for you. I ride a fixie on the road round Snowdonia so you know which camp I am in.

I think narrow wide chainrings, cassette extending sprockets and clutch mechs are brilliant. Having been a Luddite for years I've embraced this lot with a vigour that surprises me.

Single speeding off road - now that's daft...

Re:

i have it hard getting up hills on a mtb;so i get off and walk
god i am so old :facepalm:
so to recap will one of them 42 cogs on the back be any good for me?
and can you fit it to a 91 gt? :D

Back