Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Only sometimes

• Total voters
CTK":1p1unua2 said:
bryan555":1p1unua2 said:
Always has. But I'm the same with everything. Form follows function – Most things that are well designed and work well are beautiful. Bikes are no exception.

agreed...

For me aesthetics matter alot (you'd never guess to look at my bikes mind)

BUT

matching tyres, matching stem and post, all blue bits etc etc can sometimes still look crap!

I find bikes that look fit for purpose do it for me aesthetically.

+1

Agree hence my love of Titanium frames and black & silver parts.....understated :D

F-ing important.

I think good aesthetics don't just have to mean that everything matches and looks clean. I think some bikes (or whatever) can look amazing with mis-matched parts as long as they have an aesthetic vibe (man...)

H-Bombs bikes were always a riot of colours and brands but they always looked badass IMHO.

Attachments

• Elevation 12000.jpg
    Elevation 12000.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 607
Archangel":oecxuswh said:
If the aesthetics matter highly, why do we get so many BOTMs with mismatch colored or mix of modern and vintage parts ??? ;)
I agree, but I don't think you're really supposed to say that!

It's just that some people's ideas of aesthetics differ from others. Lots of garage queens look aesthetically preposterous to me, to me bikes should look tough, fairly simple, maybe smart, but not camped-up. But then I'm always happy to be in a minority. And I do think it's a good idea that people get an opportunity for artistic expression, whatever the outcome.

Match your shoe's tan to your belt's tan, then match your watch to the buckle along with the cufflinks and the tie pin. Then you can't really go far wrong.......this is reflected with the people who match stems to the seat posts, headsets to the seat collars and cranks, skewers etc.

It's not just in the bike world where people care about the aesthetics.

Anthony":zcpl9ods said:
Archangel":zcpl9ods said:
If the aesthetics matter highly, why do we get so many BOTMs with mismatch colored or mix of modern and vintage parts ??? ;)
I agree, but I don't think you're really supposed to say that!

It's just that some people's ideas of aesthetics differ from others. Lots of garage queens look aesthetically preposterous to me, to me bikes should look tough, fairly simple, maybe smart, but not camped-up. But then I'm always happy to be in a minority. And I do think it's a good idea that people get an opportunity for artistic expression, whatever the outcome.

holy crap, I actually agree with you for once Ant ;) :LOL:
respect to Kai for speaking his mind too :D

scant":19pjsjon said:
holy crap, I actually agree with you for once Ant ;) :LOL:

+1

two at once, damn Anthony, losing your touch! ;)

I like the function over form thing, but ONLY when it looks right. No way would I go for something that works better, but looks worse.

Always struggled with Maguras cos of this - as an example.

It takes a brave person to post that Miyata on a thread about aesthetics...

unless it's intended to serve as a bad example? :cool:

I have to admit to changing parts on bikes I ride after the "Retrobike" pictures have been taken :cool:. Some to improve the ride (tires notably), and just one or two bits to conserve NOS jewelry.

So YES! it does matter

Back