Mag steerer tube threading. Any tips?

A possibly a vat of liquid nitrogen and an oven. Heated crown, cooled steerer, hydraulic press.

Note the reference to cryogenic fitting in:

stating:

It depends on the assembly method. Fox may use a tighter interference fit, and the steer tube may not be able to be removed without damage to the fork crown.

Marzocchi will replace the steer tube once using a press fit. The original assembly method using cryogenic press interference assembly, so pressing a steer tube out and pressing a new one at room temperature distorts the crown. That's why they will only do it once.

Rock Shox does that sort of assembly overseas now, so they likely have no capability to swap the steer tube out, that's why they'll recommend the new steerer/crown and stanchions.

Thought I would give an update. In the end, I went through it anyway and it worked using the die. No damage to the tool and after testing seems to be good. Heres the video, procedure Etc. Thanks for all the advice which ended up being useful.

I think the dedicated die with the 1 and 1/8 guide which you put into the tool makes it a very good one; far more likely to get the thread set correctly. Well done. Nice call out for Retrobike and well done for calling out all the issues re tapered tubing etc - your 'dangerous territory' warning. All very thoughtful and a nice vid.

Back