Attaching Di2 to Weinmann levers

antur.griff

Retro Newbie
Has anyone combined di2 with weinmann levers? I want to keep the aesthetic of the retro drilled levers but the pinnacle of modern cycling tech
Happy to see a campo (like the record/ 50th anniversary groupset) with the latest campo electronic shifting

If so how did you do it please!

Pics - my late gramps bike, I want to get this back on the road, he was an engineer so would absolutely embrace the new tech but i want to still acknowledge the craft and beauty of the old groupsets

Attachments

• 20240412_193329.jpg
    20240412_193329.jpg
    974.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240401_162659.jpg
    20240401_162659.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
well, Di2 does have sprint shifter controls that could be adapted but most of the Di2 stuff is designed to be internally cabled up, the battery for example sits inside the seatpost, meaning the cable connects to a junction box inside the bottom of the seat tube then comes out of the back of the seatube to connect to the front mech, another wire then goes down the inside of the chainstay and comes out and connects to the rear mech, now you could run some of these cable externally but it'd look a mess to be honest, also, you'd need to change the wheels, mechs, chain, cassette, chainset, BB, etc, this all would have to be done as even the early Di2 was 2 x10speed, the more recent stuff is 2x11 or 2 x12, the newer stuff has the brain of the system in the rear mech, which is connected to the battery and front mech and recieves signals from the shifters.

to be honest as much as i'm not a massive sram fan, i'd suggest if you were to electrify the gears on this it'd be easier to do it with wireless sram Red, no hassles with wires at all, batteries on the mechs and in the shifters, and you could simply use "blip" shifters without having to change the brake levers.

I've seen SRAM e-tap blip buttons mounted on/under the bar, and under bar tape for a stealth look, you don't necessarily have to fit the buttons to the brake levers. Same may apply for di2 I suppose, but there are other options to consider eg AXS etc.

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated. I guess in my head I was hoping that some crazy engineer out there had previously hacked the button/shifter lever part off an electronic groupset and glued(?!) / welded them onto a set of weinmann levers. This frankenstein monster would then keep the vintage steel aesthetic but have modern capability. Yes i want it all and have no clue if this is poss!

Back