Mag steerer tube threading. Any tips?

Just to add, it's also possible for Dan to replace the entire steerer, he has done this for me multiple times and I've had no problems, RST steerers are available online and can be made to fit. Or a donor Rockshox fork with the correctly sized steerer can be swapped.

Yeah, check the stem fits nicely first :)
Ah ok, understand why you said this now. I’m presuming that some steerer’s have thicker walls, as they were made with the intention of, threadless only. Meaning a quill stem might not fit. All I have to compare to, is a RS judy threaded steerer. The steerer on the far right does seem to be thicker tubed, internally maybe 0.1ish smaller (Though I’ll double check, would be a nightmare doing this procedure only then to find out the quill doesn’t fit hehe). I’ll be using the middle one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 8
if you've already got a threaded steerer is there not an option to have it pressed out the crown and pressed into the mag crown? would need to measure carefully to ensure it's suitable.

Just to add, it's also possible for Dan to replace the entire steerer, he has done this for me multiple times and I've had no problems, RST steerers are available online and can be made to fit. Or a donor Rockshox fork with the correctly sized steerer can be swapped.
I live in france and have been looking out for one to pop up for quite some time, rarely sold seperately. RST? That I do have! Looks like I have one where the steerer can be knocked out? Quick search online: threaded steerer tube for 7,99e (very cheap). https://www.bike-discount.de/en/rst-cromo-steerer-tube-with-thread anyone know if these will fit in this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 2
For an 1 1/8" Rockshox steerer the bottom bulges to approximately 30mm to accommodate the crown race. The RST's I've seen do the same, as long as this bulged section is long enough to pass through the crown and still take the race then I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

Remember the steerer-crown interface is mighty stressed. And thought of failure in this area is pretty scary. No…VERY scary. Interference fit of components is done with huge care and much equipment. PACE steerers are of course readily replaceable although different iterations are not interchangeable.

Yeah, check the stem fits nicely first :)
Ah ok, understand why you said this now. I’m presuming that some steerer’s have thicker walls, as they were made with the intention of, threadless only. Meaning a quill stem might not fit.
@benjabbi very good point.....what's the plan for the locking ring slot? Or were you thinking threadlocker device instead on top of the headset?
Remember the steerer-crown interface is mighty stressed. And thought of failure in this area is pretty scary. No…VERY scary. Interference fit of components is done with huge care and much equipment. PACE steerers are of course readily replaceable although different iterations are not interchangeable.
Yeh I’ve noticed some mag steerers have a sticker warning not to thread lower . Anyhoo, before I commence all this, I’m gonna investigate 1) whether I can use the RST I’ve got 2) Last attempt to find a steerer tube at a bike recycle centre 3) Confirm I can get a quill stem in. Yes Pace - was thinking of using the 35 I have but it just wont do on this build.

if you've already got a threaded steerer is there not an option to have it pressed out the crown and pressed into the mag crown? would need to measure carefully to ensure it's suitable.
Think you need a hydraulic press for all that

Latest posts

Back