Dear Halfords

Bats":3a54ld5n said:
cce":3a54ld5n said:
the apollos aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things

I run a fix-it-up session at a local co op and we get a lot of this kind of stuff in as donated bikes once the first owner has decided cycling isn't for them (usually after about 3 months). They're a lot better than the Tesco chod, which we tend to strip for parts.

Apollo moved up market, now the real shite is trax...

I had an apollo excel full susser growing up. front tyre went in the first 10 minutes. Spent most of it's time under the stairs and when I finally dusted it off after a few years to ride to school it fell apart in about a thousand miles.

Halfords pay about £8/unit for the trax....

Re:

I believe 'Boardman Elite' are a seperate brand and offer the higher end models to IBDs.

We see a fair number of these bikes, and I agree it's hard to tell people the almost brand new product they just spent a chunk of money (relatively speaking, in most cases) on is a decrepit heap of utter crap and it needs approximately 75% of the initial cost spending on it to try and make it roadworthy, but in my experience they understand if you approach it right. I wouldn't buy one, and we wouldn't sell them, but I can see why they exist, amd it isn't going away.

Anything that gets people riding bikes is great in my opinion, granted this will peturb some people, but no more than the news being filled with 'CYCLIST CRUSHED TO MESSY POOL OF HUMAN PORRIDGE UNDER WHEELS OF MASSIVE DEATH-TRUCK' headlines.

I've got to agree regarding the lack of quality bikes by the likes of Halfrauds and although you can curse their cheap and nasty bike range the main issue here is
to many people who are just plain ignorant when it comes down realising that cheap bikes are cheap for a reason and that a minimum spend of £100 on a so called bargain bike is just going to lead to frustration and disinterest due parts failing in next to no time .

Well as far as i'm concerend halfrauds only sell the trash that they do because it's easy money and are not in the slightest bit interestd in creating future cyclist
or even keeping those with a genuine interest in cycling happy as their only goal in life is making a profit but while their are customers out there willing to waste their hard earned on trash then halfrauds will carry on ripping them off .

Bats":1vw0r858 said:

I had an apollo excel full susser growing up. front tyre went in the first 10 minutes. Spent most of it's time under the stairs and when I finally dusted it off after a few years to ride to school it fell apart in about a thousand miles.

That is long ride to school :shock:

Mike

Re:

Disposable this that and the other is nothing new today - cheap and nasty bikes included, destined to the skip in no time at all.

Surely the majority of customers
actually know this at the time of
purchase?

You wouldn't even entertain the thought of having a cheap
and nasty TV, toaster, lawn mower
repaired so why a POS bike should be is frankly beyond me.

I asked for a star fangled nut for a headset the other day and they gave me some wheel nuts.

They turned me down for a bike mechanic job last year as well...

Re:

here's the response:-

Thank you for your recent email.

Please note that your comments have been noted and forwarded on to our quality and buying teams for them to view.

It is unlikely that we will stop stocking these bikes as there is a high demand for affordable bikes as you are well aware.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Simon Mould

Customer Service Advisor

my response:-

the question is not one of affordability, it's a safety issue, you sell unsafe products that are built by either your untrained staff or an untrained customer, how many times i see bikes come through my door with the forks facing backwards, the brakes not working correctly, bolts not tight, you as a company are gambling with the lives of children, that's how serious i think the issue is.

i realise one email from a frustrated mechanic is not going to stop your company selling this rubbish but you should endeavour to make or buy a better product or simply not sell them.

i will be recording photos/videos of your bikes for future reference (more to cover myself for liability having worked on this stuff) and i will send them to as many of the appropriate authorities as possible, British standards, aswel as trading standards as your response tells me that basically you don't care, and i bet this is pretty much the company attitude.

Re:

'Duty of care' is a phrase that jumps to mind.... and one that they should be well aware of.

Re:

I shall be interested to see what reesponse you get to the reply Jon. I'm sure you will, mentioning how you would take this further a step

Mike

Back