Custom Ti frame builders and BB30

Firstly you can retro-convert BB30 to old style with an insert block (a bit like a tandem eccentric) - and probably a sensible thing to buy when you get a frame...just in case.

As for UK custom, Enigma also spring to mind.

edit:typo

Ti

On-One Inbred Ti, only frame/bike ever rated a 10 by many of the bike mags. Get a standard BB as adaptors can be had for BB30 conversion. The newer exterior ceramic bearing BB made by Hope etc are wearing very very well and so easy to service.

IIRC on weight weenies, a builder of repute also mentioned Darren Crisp as the best for Ti.

Ti

Messiah. The Hummer is a phenomenal bike but it is that i feel the need for something more personalised. For years i've been lusting over a custom titanium bike and if i'm going to fork out all that money for one and sacrifice some of my other bikes for it then i want it to be as future proof as much as possible.
Hamster. I'm interested in this adapter you mention which would allow me to have a BB30 specific frame and still use a "normal" BB because i've just bought one of those Hope Ceramic BBs' for the hummer and its done less than 50 miles.
Wold Ranger. I'm again interested in this adapter you mention which allows the use of the BB30 style in a non BB30 specific frame as i thought that bb30 had the use of oversized bearings in an oversized BB shell?
Everyone else. Cheers for all those ideas. Crisp looks fantastic! How could i have forgotten about Steve Potts :oops: On-One I thought about On-One but i remember reading on here about a female racer i.e. someone not 220lbs like me, who snapped 2 Lynskey frames from relatively light use. I was leaning towards a Sycip for a while purely for that sexy wishbone chainstay arrangement they have but our own Rody mentioned that he uses Ti and now i've got Crisp and Enigma and Potts to think about. Anyone want to buy a Hummer, Klein, Bontrager and a Marin to help me fund this?

What about Kent Erikesen the former Moots man? They look rather noice... infact very noice indeed....

Stew,

There is no BB30 adaptor that I know of as the shell is not only oversized, but wider as well.

The shell was originally designed for a few distinct reasons; to allow a larger surface area for welding when using oversized tubing (nice for Ti) or suspension components, larger diameter allows for a larger spindle of decreased wall thickness to result in lighter weight and increased rigidity, and to provide a product that had universally available bearing parts.

Will this make every other bb in the world obselete...nope, there will always be the solid square taper, but it is an improvement in design for modern componentry's design and performance.

cheers,

rody

Ps... If I was to buy any Ti builders frame myself, it would be a Potts. Steve has mentored many of those listed, fwiw.

There was an interview in C+ this month with Bianchi I think which said that they would offer an adaptor for BB30.

Yo Hamster...

Adaptor to go;

from BB30 to Standard shell

or

Standard shell to BB30 outboard ?

The world (ok, really just me) wants to know :)

rody

Back