Culling bikes and builds, decisions?

ishaw":395fcaho said:
Indeed. Sorting storage is plan A. Plan A.1 is to sell the frames and bits I know I'll not be using whatever happens.

I'm sure the Torus is a keeper but in the unlikely event you decide to re-home it there will always be a little bit of space here in North London.

Twister":3rwmu1qv said:
ishaw":3rwmu1qv said:
Indeed. Sorting storage is plan A. Plan A.1 is to sell the frames and bits I know I'll not be using whatever happens.

I'm sure the Torus is a keeper but in the unlikely event you decide to re-home it there will always be a little bit of space here in North London.
I'll keep you in mind if it makes the list.

Been thinking about the number of bikes 'needed' and logic states a modern hard tail, modern full Sussex, ditto for retro, then a road bike, my folder, and another for 'hack' duties (though that doesn't mean a low rent bike in my house).

It's doable in theory.

This has been a really useful thread. I am now looking for some scaffolding to build a frame to support a rail across the back of the shed. I don't think the structure/roof of a wooden shed will take the weight of about 7 bikes without distorting over time so planning a free standing but fixed clothes rail type affair. I have 8ft width but no extra height so reckon I could get 7 across topped and tailed. Maybe more?

Re:

That's a really good idea, I saw a storage in a workshop where they'd used a thinner scaffolding (apparently sourced from eBay)

I know we've had various shed threads but maybe people could share their storage solutions.

The History Man":12k92xt3 said:
I have 8ft width but no extra height so reckon I could get 7 across topped and tailed. Maybe more?
Topped and tailed with an offset of about 12-15cm works well. If you are going to use a scaffolding pipe to suspend the bikes from you *could* use some 6-8mm rod bent into either long or short S's to give the offset. With the added benefit of being able to slide them along the pole. So you get a sort of wardrobe for bikes. Make the high hooks at the right height for the longest bikes (29er FS in my case) and you can actually muck around with hook height to get it right. (Mine are fixed so several of the shorter bikes have 15 cm clear to the floor.)
A shelf on top, even if its only 15cm gives space for "stuff" even if its only a couple of dozen tyres laid flat on top of it.

Also, this bike wardrobe thing, you could (possibly?) add some extra non-bike hooks for things like wheels, as they will slot in between bikes........

ishaw":11eccqm1 said:
...The torus is rigid, the dbr suspended but
I have been contemplating making the dbr rigid with either some nuke proof or pace carbon forks? Or swapping out the modern fox for some retro fsx or pace evos?
Forget this, it doesn't matter, first you need to get out riding them as they are to find out what will be a good change ;-)
(But go retro if you must change)

Re:

I've just done this myself, the criteria for retro bikes was as follows:

Do I enjoy riding it (be honest)? This includes correct sizing.
Do I have something similar that I like more?
Is it really important to me for any reason?

What stayed was my '90 Fire Mountain for the total nostalgia trip it gives me every ride, the DBR Axis because it is a truely fantastic ride and the '93 Explosif. Everything else has gone - often at a loss :( Any retro spares that were surplus are being sold off.

Modern bikes have to fill a niche, i.e. road bike, winter hack mtb, manky thing I leave at the station, etc.

Now there is a clear choice for any type of ride, a smaller spares cache and room to work on things.

SP

Re: what to sell/storage

I had a similar problem but everything changed when I realised I could get a bike into the loft. Wheels off and seat out and with a bit of care they go in - and my loft hatch is small/medium sized.

So I have a few in the "shed" and easily accessible but rotate with season/need/fancy a change.

No more bikes in every corner and in the way.

Obviously that wouldn't work for everyone but perhaps useful to you or others.

If you do have a loft or something similar and still want to cull, you could keep frames and swap parts. So for example DBR and Torus, parts mostly interchangeable (?), sell off whatever's effectively duplicated between the two and keep one frame, seatpost etc in the loft and if next year you fancy a change you can swap over. If you find you never do swap, then you could sell the unused frame.

The History Man":20rfaabr said:
This has been a really useful thread. I am now looking for some scaffolding to build a frame to support a rail across the back of the shed. I don't think the structure/roof of a wooden shed will take the weight of about 7 bikes without distorting over time so planning a free standing but fixed clothes rail type affair. I have 8ft width but no extra height so reckon I could get 7 across topped and tailed. Maybe more?

Here's something that might be better than scaffolding tubes:

https://www.tubeclampsdirect.co.uk/sect ... steel_tube

They're steel handrail, and for those who like things pretty you can powder coat the rails and/or clamps.

I agree this is a useful thread for people feeling like they have too many bikes. From a personal point of view, it's a case of them taking up too much space when I don't get out to ride them often enough. Good pointers on where to start with the clearout though.

Back