Cotic retro take on a gravel bike

XTSTIMAN

Senior Retro Guru
2012 Cotic X retro inspired gravel build, just so nineties!

Flat bars, bar ends, XT 9 speed with Tiagra levers and TRP mini v-brakes. 700 x 40c Nano tyres.
Like my nineties 26" wheelers, but I get the 700c brigade, the wheels go through mud holes just a little nicer🤔
IMG_20230507_164334.jpg IMG_20230415_151219.jpg

flat bar cyclocross!

Very nice, but I think I would have used the disc mounts as thats one thing I really like about modern bikes offroad.

But it's not a gravel bike, it's what we used to ride as a mtb bike. It's got flat bars, it's got v brakes, it's got rigid forks. what you've made is just a mtb bike, yes you've modern components to do it, but it's still a mtb bike.

The industry has yet again managed to slice a niche out of an otherwise dead market and make us think it's something new and innovative, even a drop bar gravel bike was really just a cyclo-cross bike for the masses, the spirit again to a flat bar is just a mtb bike.

Don't get me wrong, I like what you've made, but I'm really fed up of the media driven crap and cycle industry drive to split ever smaller styles in to even smaller ones.

Sorry, rant over. Nice bike.

What have I stirred up! Just like the retro look, know discs make sense, but grew up with rim brakes, and just like the mechanical look of the various designs through the years.
My first 700c bike in 2013 since the nineties, mainly used with slicks for road, always with flat bars and previously XT v brakes, now what might be a bit of an all rounder.
I do have a Charge plug in the pipeline with TRP discs, but none of this thru axle or dropper post malarkey, just good old luddite quick releases and 135mm rear spacing!

If you like cantilevers, Charge Filter in Tange Infinity, but probably only fit 38c max.

What have I stirred up! Just like the retro look, know discs make sense, but grew up with rim brakes, and just like the mechanical look of the various designs through the years.
My first 700c bike in 2013 since the nineties, mainly used with slicks for road, always with flat bars and previously XT v brakes, now what might be a bit of an all rounder.
I do have a Charge plug in the pipeline with TRP discs, but none of this thru axle or dropper post malarkey, just good old luddite quick releases and 135mm rear spacing!

If you like cantilevers, Charge Filter in Tange Infinity, but probably only fit 38c max.
Sorry. ☹️I was in a grump.

It looks great and very purposeful.

Back