Cotic BFe26

I built this bfe for my partner a few months ago. Took ages to find an Xs frame. I wanted a soul ideally, but Xs versions were like hens teeth.
That's sweet! I don't think Cotic produced XS in anything in any great number so that's a nice score! Bonus being an earlier model with a full Reynolds mainframe + seat stays.

My original search was somewhat limited also as I needed a newer S frame to suit the tapered fork that I had. At the time, not much in the way of Cotic running second hand. Whilst the later generations of the BFe may not have quite as much Reynolds-branded steel in them, they benefit from a 44mm headtube, replaceable gear hanger and dropper provisions so I was pretty stoked to pick this one up of marketplace for a pittance 🤙

Hourglass you're photos look amazing, what kit/settings are you using - I'm looking to improve/learn
Thank you! :)

Most snaps will have been captured using an Olympus OMD EM5 Mk.II and typically the 17mm f/1.8 prime lens. Space permitting, I also carry a 45mm f/1.8.

It's tricky to recommend settings as they will be situation dependant but my preference is the use of wider apertures (low f-number) to better separate subject from background. A lens with a longer focal length will also enhance this effect.

I used to really fuss about this sort of stuff but at the end of the day, the best camera is the one you have with you. For most, this will be a smart phone which are more and more replacing the need for a separate cameras. I don't quite get the same sort of joy out of using my phone, and the formidable little Olympus is so compact and fun to us, it generally joins me on most cycle adventures.

🤙

DSC_9376.jpg

Ha! I actually think the M775 levers are pretty ugly! Function over form however :p
No no no,
The newer shimano levers with the master cylinder all over the place are definitely uglier.
I refuse to get them based on aesthetics alone.

I've got a set of SLX M665s and Saint M810s. Same style.

No no no,
The newer shimano levers with the master cylinder all over the place are definitely uglier.
I refuse to get them based on aesthetics alone.

I've got a set of SLX M665s and Saint M810s. Same style.
My wife has a set of the non-series MT500s on her ride and I think the MC design / layout is quite slick. By XT level however, that generation / shape starts to look a little, err, delicate (and that's even without a shifter hanging off it!)

665 levers x 810 calipers is a great combo! I have two other bikes using Shimano hydraulic systems, both are assembled around the earlier XT M765 lever, which is by far my favourite shape.

Latest posts

Back