A 2000 Kona Cindercone parts-bin gravel bike

moonlite

Kona Fan
I'm not really one to leap on the latest trends -- hence the whole retro obsession -- but I've recently become intrigued by aspects of the gravel bike boom. Coincidentally, my 2005 Airborne Carpe Diem serves well in this regard, with fatter gravel tyres and cantis. Here in rural New South Wales, singletrack isn't easy to find but there's lots and lots of unpaved road and fire trails in the national forests, so gravel makes sense.

Anyway, I picked up this frame by accident when picking up a '98 Explosif a year or so ago. For a while it lay unloved under a bed (aluminium innit?), but the urge to tinker meant I finally got it into rideable condition this year. And when ridden, it proved to be really good! Nice and responsive, pretty agile, and not as 'harsh' as detractors of alu might think.

Those qualities, plus the Michelin Country Rock tyres -- skinny for an MTB but fat enough for gravel -- seemed to lend themselves to an alternative to the Airborne. Something a bit quicker up the hills, perhaps. And much as I'm no Strava slave, there are one or two segments hereabouts I'd love to improve my performance on (you really do need inspiration sometimes when you always ride solo).

The only rule for this build will be that I can't spend too much on it and will be relying almost entirely on the spares box. Only things like cables and brake blocks can be new.

So here's the starting point -- a 2000 Cindercone in rideable condition, but only just.

- Fork -- Kona P2 of unknown provenance
- Headset -- FSA Orbit
- Wheels -- Shimano LX
- Brakes -- Avid Cantis
- Crankset -- Race Face XC
- Front ring -- Shimano Zee 36t
- Stem -- Easton EA70
- Bars -- Easton Monkeylite carbon
- Shifter -- Shimano Acera
- Cassette -- Unknown Shimano 9-speed
- Seatpost -- Kona Thumb
- Seat -- WTB

Frame.jpg frame2.jpg IMG_7399-2.jpg

Last edited:
So the main change will be to fit drop bars. I have a pair that came with the Airborne and were replaced by some with a shallower drop which I much prefer -- but these are here and free so they will have to do.

This immediately raises a number of issues:

- Need a new stem with a 31.8mm clamp
- What brake levers? I have some Tektros that came on a 2010 Paddy Wagon and were replaced when it received some bullhorns with bar-end levers . . .
- . . . but those won't work with V-brakes. I can find some Travel Agent-style adaptors but those are surprisingly costly and will take weeks to arrive, so . . .
- . . . it has to be cantis. I have some basic-but-working Shimano ones which are ideal.
- Cantis means adding cable stops fore and aft, and the parts bin is full of various promising bits that should be workable.
- And shifters will require some thinking about -- there seem to be various options out there, either for adapting an MTB trigger shifter to fit the bar-top, or bar-end shifters. I have some of the latter in storage, which means a trip to Canberra on the weekend. Let's put that bit on hold for now.

Last edited:
Here's a quick mock-up of the build using the parts on hand. Brakes still need to be properly set up -- will do that when shifter is on and the bars are ready for taping.

The red pedals were temporary while I test-rode the bike in its previous format -- it'll have SPDs in future.

First impression is that the front end is pretty low -- not great for the old and stiff of lower back. I don't have a 31.8mm stem with more rise though, so will see how it goes.

I'm not fond of the 'anatomic' bend in the bars, either, but that's why they're in the parts bin. Again, they can stay for now -- this is an experiment after all.

IMG_0293.jpg

Last edited:
Easier and more comfortable to just stick with the riser bar, no?
Yes, that has crossed my mind -- I suppose it's the different range of hand positions that makes the drops an attractive idea. And that could be achieved with bar-ends, although of course bar-ends with risers are taboo!

In addition, it's really the urge to tinker that's driving this project. Once it's done I'll give it a few tries and then see what else is in the bin handlebar-wise.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I tried it with a 1999 Cindercone - good luck, I found the frame too long even with a 60mm high-rise stem and short reach bars. Konas just aren't the right shape in my experience.
Marins are just that bit shorter and easier.

I tried it with a 1999 Cindercone - good luck, I found the frame too long even with a 60mm high-rise stem and short reach bars. Konas just aren't the right shape in my experience.
Marins are just that bit shorter and easier.
It's starting to look that way -- I'd need pretty much a vertical stem to make this comfortable. But I'll press on for now in the interests of experimentation.

Back