Cleaning white Porcs.

Remember that Kiwi shoe whitener you used to put on your Stan Smiths?
Use that... then put them on eBay ;)

Here is a piece of white silicone rubber which is covered in oil and grime
6186A09C-EEEF-4329-B744-593E0397F308.jpeg

I’ve rubbed half of it with a cloth dipped in 99.9% pure Isopropyl
6427EE95-1314-435D-8CF8-C8176956478E.jpeg

I do have other chemicals which would be more effective but they could damage the rubber, you can get this IPA from eBay.. the one I’m using is from jemchem.
I would scrub with hot soapy water afterwards rather than leaving the alcohol on your tyres.

I doubt there are that many on here that have had the chance/need to clean their white porcs in modern times given their rarity and apparent desirability, so guidance may be a bit lacking!
However I would say that good advice may come from the likes of @Peachy! or @regan_ev who have history in rejuvenating discoloured retrobike trinkets.
Well, I’ve not tried this on a set of porcs but I did have some success on some vintage “NOS” white road tyres that had storage marks so I don’t see why this shouldn’t work.

Step 1, locally bleach the the stain for 10 minutes, make sure it’s clear or white household bleach not blue dyed toilet bleach or they’ll be shagged!
Step 2, take them into the shower with you and use a nail/scrubbing/washing up stuff brush and a general purpose bathroom cleaner with mild bleach in and scrub them then rinse them thoroughly.
Step 3, bake them to rejuvenate the rubber. If you do it properly they will look like new

Baking thread by @regan_ev ;

Ps. If you’re not going to bake them don’t bleach or clean with alcohol.

There’s loads of videos and posts in the vintage trainer world on how to restore/rejuvenate white rubber soles of shoes I guess the process would transfer to white tyres? Just one example below, there are many more!

As Betsy has suggested isopropyl.....I used to do injection rubber moulding.....white was feared.....any staining ruined mouldings so we'd use isopropyl to clean the fresh milled uncured rubber before moulding. It evaporates so quickly that's how it's lifts dirt. Use clean plain cotton...as lint free as poss.
Then when they're clean get rid of them before they get dirty again 😆

As Betsy has suggested isopropyl.....I used to do injection rubber moulding.....white was feared.....any staining ruined mouldings so we'd use isopropyl to clean the fresh milled uncured rubber before moulding. It evaporates so quickly that's how it's lifts dirt. Use clean plain cotton...as lint free as poss.
Then when they're clean get rid of them before they get dirty again 😆

I've got some other stuff at work known as an advanced Isopropyl, it's made by Gard chemicals and called DEV-103, it's basically an alcohol based dry cleaning fluid designed for use in those spotting machines, they blast it through a garment as a vapour at high pressure to lift the stains and as you say..it evapourates instantly taking the stain with it.

As a liquid in a container it's room temp but put some on a cloth exposing it to the air and it instantly becomes zero degrees, you can only handle it with thick rubber gloves for a few seconds like liquid nitrogen.. put the cloth down and it frosts over with ice crystals.. weird shit but it's an amazing degreaser, non flamable too..

Back