Chas Roberts or is it ?

Ragwort1

Retro Newbie
Is there anyone out there that can tell me much about this bike. I have bought it very recently and know that Chas Roberts is supposed to be a good make. I bought this thinking that is would be a step up on my Raleigh clubman which I really like. The only thing I know about it is that it came from london and has been sitting in a garage for a long time. Cant see a number on the bottom bracket, but may be hidden by the bit of plastic that the gear cables travel over. The first thing is, is it a chas roberts and the second is, if so how old is it etc. IMG_5752.jpeg

The lugs and seat stay caps look right for a Roberts to me, though I'm far from an expert. I would guess it's mid 80s to 90s. Looks a good project, aside from the usual new chain, etc, the main thing to replace would be the brake calipers which look like cheap replacements for the originals. And if you need a new wheelset I have a few hanging around to potentially offer ;)

Thanks for that quick reply. I will certainly bear the wheelset in mind for the near future. The brake calipers were definitely on my list to replace. Not too certain either of them (as they are two different makes) were original. Gear leavers are suntour, which I thought might be original, but the front and back derailleurs are shimano (must have been changed because of wear and tear).

Yeah, it's a bit of a mix of parts, as of course is often the case when a bike has seen a good amount of use. The rear derailleur is a cheaper Shimano model which probably works fine, but like you say, it's a replacement. It shouldn't be too hard to find a nice 1980s long cage Suntour RD which would be a good upgrade. It'll be a lovely bike when restored, I'm sure.

If you find the serial number it should read like this,mine is 881120 meaning 1988,november and 20th made that month.

Latest posts

Back