Chas Roberts bike identification help needed please.

Loumush

Retro Newbie
I have just bought a house and with it came 2 bikes. One is a Chas Roberts bike and the other is an old Hoo Koo E Koo. Both are lovely-looking bikes. However, I would really appreciate it roberts bike.JPG if anyone could tell me what exact type of bike this is, please? I have the number from the BB, 941037, and assume it may be made in 94.

Thanks

That’s nice of them to leave that there. But, you know, there probably won’t be a model name or type. It would most likely have been custom made for the customer. It looks like an ‘all round’ geometry. Not exactly steep angles or short wheelbase and plenty of room for mudguards and a rack. Fairly small size. Or at least a short head tube. Particularly nice seat cluster / fastback stays.

But can’t see much more from the picture - Reynolds 653 or 753? Whichever way, good tube set. Maybe Mavic SUP Ceramic rims? Maybe early 90’s Campagnolo Chorus shifters?

You can probably see all of that easy enough and it’s fairly easy to look up info on Roberts/ Reynolds / Mavic / Campy online. And Geoff Roberts still makes frames in Sussex.

That’s nice of them to leave that there. But, you know, there probably won’t be a model name or type. It would most likely have been custom made for the customer. It looks like an ‘all round’ geometry. Not exactly steep angles or short wheelbase and plenty of room for mudguards and a rack. Fairly small size. Or at least a short head tube. Particularly nice seat cluster / fastback stays.

But can’t see much more from the picture - Reynolds 653 or 753? Whichever way, good tube set. Maybe Mavic SUP Ceramic rims? Maybe early 90’s Campagnolo Chorus shifters?

You can probably see all of that easy enough and it’s fairly easy to look up info on Roberts/ Reynolds / Mavic / Campy online. And Geoff Roberts still makes frames in Sussex.
Yes, It was nice to have the two bikes included in the sale of the house. I do like old bikes but I think I am going to sell them. The size is small, it is 19" seat tube.

I have seen that there are some different names on an old brochure, like Audax and Clubman and Master Pro, and wondered which one this might be. I don't know the difference myself. I'm trying to work out how much I should advertise it for. It's in excellent condition. It's 653 tubing.Here are some more photos.
3531c5b9-1d15-4554-9ab4-6c824d401c79.JPG
09ee97af-b0a8-4f67-ae24-b57e6f9b4204.JPG
25f8fc63-26e4-4b4c-b8fe-de79ebb4875e.JPG
721f0544-edf2-4ebf-bedc-58ad86ef7668.JPG
27101849-ce3a-42b9-82cd-5ae731c2cd74.JPG
aa621487-a058-4c24-94d4-f03fc76f710a.JPG

Given the fact this has mudguard eyes, I would say it is in the Clubman, Audax, style. It is difficult to pin down though as Roberts made custom frames. A fantastic find though on both bikes.

I think it’s an Audax … please see attached.
Same seatstay design, but yours is fillet brazed, not lugged - probably to allow for the smaller frame size.
Audax was also available in 653.
Frame cost would be £399!
Where are you based? I’d love that saddle!

Attachments

• IMG_8958.jpeg
    IMG_8958.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 10
I think it’s an Audax … please see attached.
Same seatstay design, but yours is fillet brazed, not lugged - probably to allow for the smaller frame size.
Audax was also available in 653.
Frame cost would be £399!
Where are you based? I’d love that saddle!
Yes that definitely looks similar. Thank you. I am based in West Sussex. This bike is dated 1994.

I'm bit by bit trying to look up all the component parts. My goodness, it's hard. It looks like lots of bits are Campagnolo but trying to see the difference between one rear derailleur and another to the untrained eye is almost impossible. The funny thing is, it's a bit addictive now I've started.

Back