Chain Cleaning

As above (argonsixar ) but parafin instead of white spirit. Could be wrong but I think its cheaper and does the same job.

Re:

bear in mind i have to clean chains at the shop,

i use an ultrasonic cleaner (bought from ebay), about 40degress for 20 mins in a mix of water and Fenwicks FS1, chain comes out still looking a little dirty but then a light brush in my cleaning bath after and it's mint, especially if it is a quality plated chain. the bonus of this is while the chain is cleaning i can be doing other stuff. then i leave it to dry, refit to the bike and lightly lube the chain.

for at home, the Park tool chain cleaner is excellent as is the Muc-off chain cleaner, both £30 RRP but you can find them for less, i prefer to use proper degreaser as opposed to some of the suggestions of paraffin etc, the Fenwicks FS1 is my preferred degreaser because i use it as a concentrate in the chain cleaning bath and watered down for the rest (which makes it FS10).

Re:

Remove chain (Magic Link) dump in an old ice cream tub with petrol. Swill and scrub until clean, dispose of dirty petrol and repeat, this time with a dash of motor oil 5-10% mix.. scrub again then remove and hang to dry.. petrol evaporates and leaves thin film of oil that does not attract dirt or dust.

If ride was especially dusty or muddy the cassette also comes off and gets same treatment. :shock: ;)

I also use a chain cleaner. But as an added bonus i get a small plant mister filled with a water/degreaser mix and spray it onto the cassette, mechs and chain rings.

At that point you can clean the whole bike in about 3 minutes.

Re:

Cheap and cheerful copy of the park cleaner for me. It was about £3 on amazon but does the job fine.

Blast with muc off degreaser, spin for a couple of minutes in the chain gizmo then a few cycles with a rag. Load of much off ceramic lube applied and left to soak into all the links and just remove excess on a rag before the next outing.

Back