Component Cleaning / Lubrication Tips and Tricks

I thought this was a prank product

Me too - mind blown!! (I've just had to order some to make sure I'm not hallucinating)

Edit. And now I've just cancelled that order as I've seen how much it actually costs when you're not lazy and buy it from a real shop.

Last edited:
Screwfix degreaser. That’s all you’ll ever need.

Just don’t leave anything in it overnight as it takes anodising off / finish off

Use this on chains (and diluted in car wheels) but as you point out, it's savage stuff - if you were careless I reckon it'd melt out your eyeballs!!

I have tried Screwfix degreaser but don't like it as too strong even at recommended dilution, it dulled the finish of a stem I left soaking overnight! Never again...
As per the recommendation in the useful book 'Bicycle Mechanics' by Steve Snowling, I clean metal bike components & chains with diesel, inexpensive and 5 litres lasts ages as only small amount needed. I use an old pan, paintbrush and old toothbrush for agitation. Then wash off with the usual car shampoo. Does not leave the chain 'dry' either. Once used I strain and pour into a waste oil container & recycle. Have been using this method for 25+ years. No harm to finish either just remember to wear PPE disposable oil proof gloves.

I treated myself to a US parts washer, but have just learnt in error that it can be quite detrimental to certain finishes…..I.e, it removed the lacquer from an m900 crank arm 😮 ooops.!!!

I’ve left some XT v brake pads, holders and all their shaped washers etc to soak in an old coffee jar with a dishwasher tablet in it overnight. I’ll let you know if it was a terrible idea or not. Screwfix didn’t have any degreaser.

Back