Cassette ratios & customising advice

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So - I've recently started doing some road riding and on the road bike I've currently got a 11-27T 10-speed cassette. It does the job perfectly well for my use on it so far, but as I get more adventurous on my routes I've been thinking that I would like the safety net of a slightly larger sprocket on the back - I'm not completely hopeless/unfit and I do enjoy the challenge of a good climb - but I also miss the confidence that MTB gearing gives you that you'll be able to get up more or less anything. I know there's an argument to just get better legs/lungs etc but I don't have the time to ride that much nowadays so I'd like to enjoy the occasional ride I do manage to fit in with gearing that I'm comfortable with right now. I've got a spare mid-cage rear mech which will do the trick if needed when I go to a wider range cassette, so it's just the cassette that I need to consider.

As far as I can tell, the easy way to do it would be to go to the Ultegra 12-30T. Even I would probably miss the 11T sprocket though, as it's only a compact chainset up front. I'd been thinking that I might get the Ultegra 12-30 and knock out the 14T ring to replace it with an 11T (giving a spread of 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30). Or, is it worth the hassle over an 11-32 XT cassette (out of the box 11-12-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32T)?

Any thoughts or advice please?

No you would miss the 14T more than you ever missed the 11.

Go for 12-30 unless you are fitter than most people in this forum.

as above - you'd definitely miss the 14 more than the 11. what chainrings are you using?

Re:

Rose and On-One have the m771 at a good price. 11-32 is what they market towards the touring/commuting/general rider with compact fronts. Just been looking myself for a commuter.

Irony (retrobikes site) being it is basically the Retro gearing from the early 90s but now on road bikes and more rear cogs

Look at switching to a triple up front?

I'd agree with the 11 comments, you'll never miss it.
I have an 11/25 for normal riding locally, and running on a 36/50 i probably *need* it less than once a year. Putting my big cassette on (11/2:cool: and riding for a fortnight in mountains, i used the 11 quite often, never thought it was too small a gear (topped 100kph a few times, not pedaling obviously!)

Used the 28 quite a lot too.............

Then when i got home and swapped back to the 11/25 i realised that i'd not bought an 11/28, it was a 12/27.

And FWIW, my training bike runs a 49/13 top ratio, thats good for 60kph pedalling..........

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3lzork7w said:
Look at switching to a triple up front?
Might require a new shifter. Not cheap.

Possibly easier to get an even larger cassette (11/36?) and a long cage 9 speed MTB rear mech. A shimano wi-fli set up.

Re:

I've found that if I go out for a plod then i could do with lower gears. Mine are 28/36. Doing this with this mentality I don't need the 11 tooth. If I'm going out chasing times then I just bust a gut on the climbs and use the 11. Rarely do I need both ends on the same ride.

Back