Can I see some of your corncob straight block cassettes?😀

synchronicity

Senior Retro Guru
One of the things that I hate about most modern bikes today is... the gearing.
Road bikes now have gearing like a 90's mtb.😕

It might be practical for riding in the mountains, but for flat terrain they're not so good.
Yes I am older (45) so I sort of understand it, but even so, I wish they made closer-spaced 12 speed cassettes for us flatlanders.☹️

What I noticed is that on these new 12 speed drivetrains (and yes I do I own one) is that the 18T cog is invariably missing now.
And yet if you look back at the oldest freewheels, 6 speed say, even they had 13-18T options (for example). The most used gears/cogs.

And so anyway, I miss seeing tightly-spaced cassettes of yesteryear.😟
Today they're a dying breed.

I was able to build up this straight block 9 speed cassette using miche cogs.
It's an 11-19T by the way. Have not built the rest of the bike up yet.
This is going on a retromod GT build. What you would call a pub bike I suppose.

For the past year or so I've been training on a 3x9 setup, 12-21T. I like it!

Attachments

• DSC_0571.JPG
    DSC_0571.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 8
Whilst I live in one of the flatter parts of the UK there is no way I'm going back to tiny range cassettes. I run an 11-36 which I agree is a 90s mtb range and is perfect.

Shortly before I retired I serviced my bike with the view of getting out on longer rides instead of the short blasts along local lanes that I'd been restricted to for years. Didn't take me long to spot a possible problem. 12-19 with a steep hill concession 21 on the back.
49697248276_372e320eee_c.jpg

Fine when I was in my early forties and still reasonably fit but not so great 20 years and 3 stone later. It was rapidly replaced by something with a 23t and now once again with a 26t.

Shortly before I retired I serviced my bike with the view of getting out on longer rides instead of the short blasts along local lanes that I'd been restricted to for years. Didn't take me long to spot a possible problem. 12-19 with a steep hill concession 21 on the back.
49697248276_372e320eee_c.jpg

Fine when I was in my early forties and still reasonably fit but not so great 20 years and 3 stone later. It was rapidly replaced by something with a 23t and now once again with a 26t.

What's your front gearing like?

12-17 on something a bit special…
Oh I found your flickr feed.
And you have a very intestesting man cave there.
What's going on with the S-Works, running an 8-speed straight block cluster on an 11 speed mech?
(with totally aero pulley cage package😯)
Can you tell us about it?

Back