Can anybody shed some light on this

I purchased an interesting rear light off eBay recently. It has a conventional
3 led flashing/permanent display, however it also has a pair of red lasers !
The lasers are positioned so that when the light is installed horizontally, a pair of red lines are projected on the ground, one on each side of the bike.
The lines are about 1 meter apart and starting at about level with the middle of the chainstay project back about 2 meters. You effectively project a 'no go'
area at the rear of your bike. I have only had these for a short time ,so cannot
comment on durability or battery life etc. however for about £12 (from China)
they seem to represent a lot of visibility for your money.

I have 2 front 2 rear. thats a cateye and a knog each end, i usually have the knogs flashing,i find its pretty effective.

:)

rc200ti":avk8qymj said:
Cateye LD600. Good battery life. Easy to turn on when in gloves. Bright. Good value.

Got to admit - I'm a big fan of cateye lights.

Still miss my old cateye lead acid powered off road lights :-(

I have cateyes front and back and some eBay cheapies back and front on the helmet.

The cateye is brand new and is the tl155. That's the like old 5 led flat one but with a clear red back cover instead of solid black. Gives you a fraction more side and front light spillage.

Whilst I'm on the subject what really gets on my tits with cateye is the unnecessary difference in buttons presses to turn them on and off. What's particularly annoying is even where the front and back are the same model but for colour the bloody on/off button behaves differently. 2 secs on/ off for the back. 2 secs press on 5 secs press off for the front. FFS!

rc200ti":1pycm246 said:
Cateye LD600. Good battery life. Easy to turn on when in gloves. Bright. Good value.
Best rear light out there imo, also has the Knight Industries Two Thousand 'sweep' mode for extra cool points.
Also in its favour is that it runs on two (an even number) of AAAs.

Gets right up my nose when device manufacturers develop a product to run on an odd number of AA or AAA cells.

What you also have to remember, and I dare we are all drivers, is that when we are looking through a wet, salt smeared windscreen (especially when you also wear glasses) a strong flashing cycle light is like some kind of fiendish sensory deprivation torture...

...I noticed that this morning; the guy cycling towards me had a powerful flashing light on his cycle helmet and a large pulsing (bright constant beam with a brighter flash within...) light on the handlebar.

I could have quite happily run him over out of sheer spite! :?

We_are_Stevo":2rozrkbc said:
I could have quite happily run him over out of spite! :?

LOL? No.

Buy the brightest you can afford, there are plenty of very good quality, bright and easy to use USB charged lights out there, in my opinion, and experience, lights from the likes of Moon and Lezyne are of a far higher quality and with a much greater visibility than the battery powered offerings from Cateye (good but not terribly good battery life or build quality) and Knog (form over function, lack of longevity).

I use a Moon Comet in the rear, which is not a 'spot' light but a sort of futuristic looking-like-it-came-from-Battlestar-Galactica beam, in fact it gives the back of my saddle a front of Kit look, it also has a delightful saddle rail mount (which I have inverted so it sits even closer to the rails, very neat*) and a Lezyne Macro on the front, both are USB chargeable and very powerful.

IMAGE_5836A446-ABBE-41F5-A8CB-977CF2FC3902.JPG

* you may need to seek the advice of an Engineer before embarking on such an ambitious project.

In all due seriousness

I've always used one of these on the seatpost...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cateye-TL-LD- ... 3cce0e0228

...because they have two rows of very bright rear-facing LED's (so you can have one steady and a choice of three 'flashing' modes for the other. They also have side-facing LED's for greater spatial visibility.

This...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190690819817? ... 1438.l2649

...is my current choice of front light as I have always been a BLT fan.

Both the above have an amazingly long battery life! :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cateye tld1100 gets 100 hours from 2 AA batteries - no published lumen output (Cateye still, cryptically, list the output in candlepower, wonder why?) the Moon Comet is USB chargeable and RRP is £31.99, no further cost for batteries, and 35 lumens.

#justsayin.

Back