Droch Stàilinn. Attempt to save a scottie.

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
Ok folks, this is the most ambitious project to date.
Will greatly appreciate your help.

I've been looking for the right Scot frameset in my size for several years now. It does help massively that I live about 50 miles away from where they were made, but still these framesets seem to be quite rare. Not so rare that you never ever see one for sale, but when they do come up, the asking prices tend to be rather high and the condition is very well used. The Scot history website states that there were only about 15k framesets built between 1935 and 1983, averaging out at about a frameset per day, factoring in weekends and holidays. Most purchased by serious cyclists and used very hard during their lifetime - not sure how many survived to 2022.
Most importantly, I really don't need another road bike unless I sell my modern ti machine, so it was very hard to justify spending hundreds on a "spare" frameset.

I was pleasantly surprised when a gumtree search popped up with a local advert for a random job lot of low-end components still attached to a mangled Scottie frameset. The previous owner had the bike damaged while it was parked in a street. Took it to a bike shop techie who told him that the frame is beyond repair. The frameset was in my size and fitted very well into my criteria of a bike in need of some work & a bike without the period-correct components. Bingo! Thank God I'm not a bike-shop-trained mechanic, because I think this is repairable. At least I will try my best to get this beauty on the road again.
The seller was happy to give me the frameset for free if I was paying for the components, so the purchase was a no-brainer. He made me a very happy retro-wrencher, at least until I find out that the frameset's a gonner 😭 .

"Take it to the tip" I hear you say. Well, not a scottie. Droch Stàilinn's here to stay.

Obvious damage to the frameset:
- Forks bent out of shape.
- Deep dent on the downtube
- Moderate rust
- Rear triangle lightly out of true
- Frozen seatpost
- There's more to come on closer inspection.

This will likely become a long-term project in particular sorting out a gauge to true the forks & truing up the frame, but I'm in no hurry.

Beam me up, fellas!

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_184456749.jpg
    PXL_20220816_184456749.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20220816_184506623.jpg
    PXL_20220816_184506623.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20220816_184626065.jpg
    PXL_20220816_184626065.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20220816_184634762.jpg
    PXL_20220816_184634762.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20220816_184743039.jpg
    PXL_20220816_184743039.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 64
Argos in Bristol.
...Pay some guy to restore my bike?
What's next?
Pay some guy to make love to my wife?

Anyway, I don't think I can get this done without a fork alignment jig. Any diy suggestions? Or at least high quality photos of pro stuff that I can try and replicate?

Thanks!

So far Sheldon's the only find:
var0006.jpg

Last edited:
Well ....as you've found from Sheldon's.... a great start is a cast iron engineers marking out table.
However they are not shed floor friendly! And not cheap unless they've been used as a welders table!
When I straightened my old nocims frame I built a vertical jig on the bed of my woodworking lathe...longest flattest thing I had.
It'd be prudent to check the frame I reckon...
That dent....more pics ....all angles! I've managed to get dents out using homemade split clamps and using paper shims...
Forks...oof!
Find some straighter ones?

Thanks!

Most importantly - forks.
I've had a wee nosey with a straight edge and I'm pretty certain that the bend is in the crown. I cannot spot any significant damage in the blades.
What I'd like to know, is how much bending the crown can take. I.e. If I manage to set it back without cracks, are there any risks that the crown may fail in future (Why and how?). Hopefully some experienced members here, or at least some metallurgical knowledge of why a twice-bent crown may be more likely to fail than a virgin one.
There's probably an option to get a frame builder to transplant the blades and steerer onto a new crown I guess.
How likely am I to get a 531 replica with the same pencil blade diameters?

Dent can probably be left alone and the bike will still be ridable, but I want to sort it out. Will take some more pics later.
I've seen @Nabeaquam use a rod brazed to the frame to pull out a dent. How much force does that take?
What about automotive dent pullers? [No idea how they work]
As an alternative, I was thinking of drilling a very small hole in the dent, then from the inside, feeding a piano wire or a brake cable through it, with a copper plate shaped like the tube attached to it. I can pull the wire to get the plate to push the dent out from the inside. Then probably braze the hole shut. Just an idea.

Back