Droch Stàilinn. Attempt to save a scottie.

Thank you. Totally agree. And budget constraints won't be relaxed for a few months, so there's no rush even if I wanted to.

I don't really care much for factory-spec - I just don't see how that is sustainable if the bike is used a lot. And I only get a hardon from the framesets - don't care much for the components, new or old.
So it will ultimately (hopefully) be a practical retromod on a beautiful retro Scot frame. Just need to make sensible decisions about what to repair and what to leave untouched.

Agree - old wrecks are riddled with problems and can be money pits. 80s/90s stuff is the most practical for a retro build.

In any case, I'm a happy owner of a potentially restorable Scot frameset!

Reactions: Woz
Thank you. Totally agree. And budget constraints won't be relaxed for a few months, so there's no rush even if I wanted to.

I don't really care much for factory-spec - I just don't see how that is sustainable if the bike is used a lot. And I only get a hardon from the framesets - don't care much for the components, new or old.
So it will ultimately (hopefully) be a practical retromod on a beautiful retro Scot frame. Just need to make sensible decisions about what to repair and what to leave untouched.

Agree - old wrecks are riddled with problems and can be money pits. 80s/90s stuff is the most practical for a retro build.

In any case, I'm a happy owner of a potentially restorable Scot frameset!

Yup! The key here is to understand it's a potential moving target. Make unknowns to knowns so you can make that sensible decision in a controlled way. The order of restoration is very important aspect, and looking around here, it can often get forgotten and jump in blazing guns.

My own wreck build will probably be the longest ever, I'm usually impatient for an end result, but I set a budget of next to nothing because I know it's useful life is going to be on borrowed time when it's a rider.

Tried rolling the dent out. Got to the point where I'm clamping so hard, I'm afraid I'll bend the frame while rotating it.
The dent is still there but is much improved compared to the original.

Did @Mickeyspinn say you can use shims to get rid of the dent completely?

Some before & after snaps.
PXL_20220903_110238708_2.jpg

PXL_20220903_110238708.jpg

Tried rolling the dent out. Got to the point where I'm clamping so hard, I'm afraid I'll bend the frame while rotating it.
The dent is still there but is much improved compared to the original.

Did @Mickeyspinn say you can use shims to get rid of the dent completely?

Some before & after snaps.
View attachment 658216

View attachment 658217
Rizla papers and a bit of grease 👍
Get your calipers out find the high spots on the tube..... most likely immediately after the beginning of in to the dent if you catch my drift!?
Marker pen your high spots and lay one or two wrapped around the rest of tube. Go gentle....keep checking measuring etc.👍
You'll get a bit more out I reckon ...don't think your going to lose it all I'm afraid didn't realise it was that deep!
Looks close to being less "dangerous" ish now...good job 👍

Not quite following.
High spots - yes, still there.
Previously I would just lube up the tube and rotate the clamp around it while tightening.
Am I only placing the fag papers near the high spots, or around the whole tube?

Not quite following.
High spots - yes, still there.
Previously I would just lube up the tube and rotate the clamp around it while tightening.
Am I only placing the fag papers near the high spots, or around the whole tube?
It's basically the high spots that need the most push...so lay the papers on them...nothing covering the dent!
Try it like that....check and measure um and ah...
Then add papers between high the spots aswell around it's circumference.....again not covering the dent 👍 stop check measure etc.....slowly catchy monkey.....only one or two papers at a time.

Back