Can anybody shed some light on this

Rob Atkin":2vk7ki3i said:
I don't have a budget when it comes to being seen, I just want the best stuff now. :-/

unfortunately with two kids and an old house my budget is tiny!! :( :LOL:

I'd second the Cateye LD600.

It seems to work best to me to have both a flashing and a constant light. A flash to attract attention, but the constant light makes it easier for people to track your motion and judge distance.

As a driver, I hate flashing lights on a bike. It makes judging distance harder. I therefore never have my rear light on flash mode. I can understand why you do it, but I think if you are going to flash, have a permanent one on too. Although you won't get stopped, its also against the law to have a flashing light on your bike. It has to be attached to your person.

Pyro Tim":31t5fasm said:
As a driver, I hate flashing lights on a bike. It makes judging distance harder. I therefore never have my rear light on flash mode. I can understand why you do it, but I think if you are going to flash, have a permanent one on too. Although you won't get stopped, its also against the law to have a flashing light on your bike. It has to be attached to your person.

I thought that was altered to allow the flashing lights on a cycle.

EDIT
Thought so https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-5 ... w-59-to-71

Pyro Tim":38up84ee said:

+1

Not only that but a flashing light, by its very nature, is off half the time...

...and virtually invisible in fog.

When you are riding along in a stream of traffïc tiny flashing lights are lost amongst all the head/tail lights, especially in the rain!

Fair enough, the laws been changed. Doesn't change the fact that they don't work very well for the driver to judge, or even see you in traffic, as Stevo said.

They may attract attention initially, but after that, in my opinion, do more harm than good.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back