Campag Compatibility

Springhead

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm looking to build up an audax bike with 9 speed campag bits. Probably Veloce. What's the deal with compact double cranks/front mech/ergo shifters? Would a mid 90's style pair of Veloce Ergo shifters work with any campag front mech? I read something about the mech design being changed to cope with the wide drop - 34-50 - but does this imply you need a matching pair of shifters?

For a compact double arrangement would I be better off looking at newer style shifters, maybe even 10 speed?

Thanks,

Older style and non-Escape Ergo shifters will work with pretty well any front mech IME - the front shifter mechanism is simply a ratchet that pulls a pre-determined amount of cable. How effective it it does depend on the model of mech and the cable-pull to leverage ratio. If you use a Campagnolo triple front mech, the cage is deep enough to work with a compact chainset no problem.

The older the better.
I use 8 speed Ergos with the nice ratchet on the left with all sorts of front mechs. Every single one is fine. I wish modern stuff was as good. I also use a very early Record front mech with a 28, 38, 48 triple. It works.

I like the idea of using a triple front mech. Good thinking.

Is it true you have to use pre 2001 rear-mechs with pre 2001 ergo's? I want to run compact on the front and 13-28/29 on the rear. Not sure if they made a medium cage rear before 2001 - I'll have to check the old catalogues.

My 8 speeders work fine with a pre 2000 9 speed rear mech on any old casstee from a 6 speed block to an 8 speed Shimano cassette. Sweeter than my brother 2 month old 105 set up. Ancient Super Record being used now at the back. Its all in the preparation.
As do my 2009 10 speed shifters with the 9 speed mech on a 10 speed Shimano cassette
Might I suggest that in theory all these things are very specific but you can make most things worth very well.

mattsccm":jr4xramt said:
Might I suggest that in theory all these things are very specific but you can make most things worth very well.

Absolutely. My road bike has an Escape/QS pattern left-hand Mirage Ergo lever with less clicks than the previous Mirage models, but still managed to make it work with a Sachs front mech.

David

I can't say I agree that (quote) 'anything works'. A 9 speed shifter can't shift correctly for both a cog pitch of 5.5mm (6 speed) and 4.15mm like a 10 speed. You can often get it to work if you set it up in the middle of the range, but it will always be relying on the floating top jockey to accommodate the mis-match. Once the cables get dirty it all goes wrong again.

See on the CTC forum for some bodges that work reliably.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

hamster":3sa7qcod said:
I can't say I agree that (quote) 'anything works'. A 9 speed shifter can't shift correctly for both a cog pitch of 5.5mm (6 speed) and 4.15mm like a 10 speed. You can often get it to work if you set it up in the middle of the range, but it will always be relying on the floating top jockey to accommodate the mis-match. Once the cables get dirty it all goes wrong again.

"Anything works" - no. But for front derailleurs most combinations of mech and lever brand (admittedly double vs. triple issues are a different kettle of fish) can be cajoled into working together.

David

Back