BSA Tour de France Mk2 Resurrection

ibbz":3qo7s6js said:
Really enjoyed this - I look forward to seeing the finished bike! Really nice work done so far - truth is I prefer these Enthusiastic builds To more exotic expensive ones
I wish you had a brooks saddle to put on it
Thanks for that. I'm doing this for no other reason than I can and if I don't these things run the risk of just being pictures on the internet.
It does help though that it was one of the things I always wished had been in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. in the end I got a Puch Prima 12 in shiny red but the lure of the T.D.F. was always strong.

And Brooks saddle? No sadly that was the Mk1 in red that had that but I have got this Selle Italia leather one that I think would go very well on it.

Attachments

• DSCF4632.JPG
    DSCF4632.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 406
I've started on the polishing so seat post done (before and after pics) but it really needs doing on a polishing wheel.

Brake levers and cable guides done although the rear guide will probably be replaced if I can.

And brakes, one down and one to go.

Chainsets and mechs next when I decide what to put on it.

Attachments

• DSCF4636.JPG
    DSCF4636.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF4634.JPG
    DSCF4634.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF4631.JPG
    DSCF4631.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF4630.JPG
    DSCF4630.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 405
The saddle will go nicely!
Good choice as has that Brooks look to it
Liking how things are developing - will you use the polishing wheel or leave as is?

I'll see how things go, my polishing wheel needs setting up so if the seatpost really lets it down when its assembled then I'll have to get to it.

These had arrived when I got home from work today so I think that's decided me on going with the Raleigh marked SR cranks and Suntour mechs but I'm still not decided on whether its with or without the chain guard.

I'll clean and polish them both and then decide i think.

Attachments

• DSCF4639.JPG
    DSCF4639.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 379
And a bit more polishing done tonight, before and after with the rear mech. Its still not as clean as I'd like nor is the front one and both need a little touch up with some black paint around the Raleigh badges and I might replace the brake cable saddles bolts as well if i can find some cleaner ones but its coming together I think.

Might try a bit of gentle assembly tomorrow if I can.

Attachments

• DSCF4641.JPG
    DSCF4641.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF4640.JPG
    DSCF4640.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 378
ibbz":3slw1pc8 said:
Coming on nice!
Yes thanks I'm quite pleased with how its going so far
Spokesmann":3slw1pc8 said:
Nice to see one again.
Hopefully this one should be around for a good few years when I've finished. Its not going to be completely catalogue accurate but its going to be usable.

I've got a bit farther on so some more polishing and cleaning last night and this morning.

So very manky bottom bracket and headset cleaned up and cranks cleaned and new decals applied.

Attachments

• DSCF4644.JPG
    DSCF4644.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF4643.JPG
    DSCF4643.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF4642.JPG
    DSCF4642.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 349
Back