Kona Kula 2000 - New member, first build thread

Thanks for the suggestion @KayOs that's a neat insert! Fortunately I've been able to get a shorter headset and stem which should give me enough stack height - I'll try the forks again during the week!

And yes indeed @Panolgano - the frame without anything except derailleur hanger came in at 1662 grams. I kept the original seatpost clamp, I could have saved a few grams as it doesn't need quick release any more (but didn't want to separate it from an original part) which itself adds 45 grams.

Hi I'm a new member and recently picked up a lovely Kona Kula from Dom (@d8mok - thank you!)

View attachment 795712

It arrived in great condition and didn't need much of a clean, though I did give it a nice polish and wax - for those interested in the detailing details there's info below.

I'm going to put this together as a bit of a dream build - all the best parts I've collected recently, and some influence from what I wished my first Kona would be a couple of decades ago - which has to include Marzocchi Bombers.

Trigger warning - this build will include a 1x drivetrain. And a dropper (more on that in my next update). But also a cat, so that should keep everyone happy.

As for parts, I'm trying to keep weight down without compromising on it being able to handle a decent trail. Easton Ultra Lite tubing helps there! I'll be weighing the parts and can give numbers if anyone is interested, and currently estimate around 11.5kg if all goes to plan.

View attachment 795717

Some bits may change along the way - the plan so far is:
Frame: Kona Kula 2000 (glow in the dark decals)
Forks: Marzocchi Bomber MXC 100mm
Wheels: Mavic XC717 on Hope hubs
Crankset: Shimano SLX M7100 (if the chain line is alright)
Cassette: Shimano HG500 11-42t 10sp
Derailleur & shifter: Shimano M6000
Tyres: Either a pair of Maxxis Aspen or Continental Speed King in 2.1 width
Headset: Cane creek 10
Seatpost: Dropper - details coming soon
Brakes: Shimano M665 calipers with M6100 levers (once I put them together)
Stem and handlebars with be picked when I get the rest of the bike put together

The first stage of the build was prep and clean. This turned out really well and I was thinking it's to nice to ride, but then came to my senses.

View attachment 795715

First removed the stickers with a hair dryer, and cleaned off almost all the marks with a magic eraser. Then a going over with two polishing compounds - Meguiare's ultimate (to restore the lacquer and colour), then Autoglym super resin (protect / fill), then Collinite wax. The photos don't do it justice - I'll make sure to take some outdoors when the weather's good.

What a lovely frame!

View attachment 795716

Thanks for taking a look.
- Darren
I really love the colour of this frame

Thanks for the suggestion @KayOs that's a neat insert! Fortunately I've been able to get a shorter headset and stem which should give me enough stack height - I'll try the forks again during the week!

And yes indeed @Panolgano - the frame without anything except derailleur hanger came in at 1662 grams. I kept the original seatpost clamp, I could have saved a few grams as it doesn't need quick release any more (but didn't want to separate it from an original part) which itself adds 45 grams.
That’s quite impressive in terms of its weight. I guess some Cannondales and all Kleins of the ear would be somewhat lighter but not many brands managed to get that light weight…ok Yetis too of course as they also used Eaton tubing.

I have an M2 Duralcan ‘93 on the way same size as yours I believe so it would be interesting to see how it compares. I doubt it will be lighter since it’s tubes are not butted.

That’s quite impressive in terms of its weight. I guess some Cannondales and all Kleins of the ear would be somewhat lighter but not many brands managed to get that light weight…ok Yetis too of course as they also used Eaton tubing.

I have an M2 Duralcan ‘93 on the way same size as yours I believe so it would be interesting to see how it compares. I doubt it will be lighter since it’s tubes are not butted.
My lightest frame is a Haico Custom size 51cm c-t that comes at 1.695g and thought that was good... IMG_20230502_113815.jpg IMG_20230502_113455.jpg

That’s not bad at all Kay…

I have an American comp lite in medium that I think is around 1800g. I will weight it out of curiosity.

I wonder if there is a thread in this forum on aluminium frames and their weight. Not that I am a weight Winnie but there is a lot to be said on how different manufacturers selected their tubing when alu went mainstream.

That's awesome, I really enjoy seeing other light aluminium frames as they're engineering worth appreciating! I'm aware there is also a Kula Primo which is made of Scandium I think, so I guess that doesn't count. And not entirely relevant to this forum but the new Specialized Chisel is impressively light at 1350 grams for an xc frame. I would say other ones which fit the brief are Gary Fisher using their platinum tubing. I'm thinking I should find a thread on this too ...

I wonder if there is a thread in this forum on aluminium frames and their weight. Not that I am a weight Winnie but there is a lot to be said on how different manufacturers selected their tubing when alu went mainstream.

There are a few scattered about. Here is one to start you off

Some great progress on the Kula recently with some parts arriving - I really love it and have been able to sit on it now the wheels are on and it is ace. Perfect fit and feels like I'll be able to chuck it around, and the Hope hub sounds really nice.

I was able get the original forks back on, with a low stack height stem and a different headset. Very pleased to have the nicer ones on. And with the cranks and wheels, with the old knobbly version of the Conti Speed King tyres, it is taking shape! Looking forward to riding it, and not too many bits left to go now.

IMG_20231212_203254245.jpg
IMG_20231212_203433437.jpg

Back