Brodie eXpresso 1994 the return - first ride pics page 6

Re: Brodie eXpresso midlifecrisis

those paralevers look cool, somewhat skeletal… albeit a bit bulky! :cool:

I made the wheelset today, it still needs some work: rear wheel spacing is 130 needs to be 135 and tyres need cleaning. Happy with the result so far. It's Hügi Union hubs, DT competition spokes with Black aluminum nipples on NOS Mavic 221 rims. Lacing on the rear wheel is 2-cross lacing with paired spokes, 90's wheelsets need groovy lacing, but I hate doing twists.

last picture in original yellow color, on it's way to chemical paint stripping, de-rusting and a new rust proof coating.

What color did you say you are going to put on it?

Nice work with the wheels ;)

Hi Dare,

First step now is only removing paint, rust and giving it a rust proof KLA coating. Then I'll take it to a paint shop on the other side of the country :facepalm: . The shop doing the derusting cannot do the paint the way I want it, so they will just do the first steps. It will take a little longer but I want it done perfect. It's going to be a dark petrol, then most of the kit is going to be silver with some very subtle 3DV accents.

➡️ Advise item:
I am still unsure if I should also paint the stem?? I really like a matching stem, and I think it will really balance the colors around the headset. I just looked for some inspiration and found this (picture of a Cielo found on bikerumor website):

I think I will do the same, paint the stem, but not the stem cap. Any advise would be welcome!! I can only paint it once, I have only one Roox 110mm stem.... Decisions decisions...

I personally think that matching stem and seatpost looks the best. However, I also think that the most important thing to do is to follow ones likes so if you like your stem to be in the same color as frame I say go for it.

I would only advise to be careful as dark colors tend to dull down looks of the bike so if it is going to be matching stem, fork and frame, it could be little too much.

What about color of the decals? I ordered mine from Gil and I gotta say they are excellent!

Thanks for the feedback, still under consideration, I have a couple of options open.

I will go for white decals, and then there is the fork, will I give them a Brodie B, the P2 decals or none. I think I'll go for the P2 decals but lower on the legs, like where they normally are on a Brodie gatorblade. Once this is decided I'l contact Gil for the decals, yours look great and it sounds like he's the man to go to.

I am all for giving things your personal touch but I am against giving them new names; so I give my vote to P2 decals.

A couple of small steps while I'm waiting for the frame to get back from the paintshop. I can't wait for it to return, hopefully next week. I the meantime I'll be busy prepping some parts for anodizing and making a new spacer for the rearwheel (130mm -> 135mm). I have already gathered some 3DV parts to give it some 90's bling, not too much but a little won't hurt :roll:

King nologo headset arrived this week, purple granny and cable hangers. More purple will come from a coghog (on its way) the skewers and seatclamp (need anodizing).

Crankset got a bit of TLC last week, I'm also going to have the arms silver anodized. Still needs some polishing and I'm going to work on some of the bigger scratches.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend and happy trails.

Back