Brodie eXpresso 1994 the return - first ride pics page 6

Re: Brodie eXpresso midlifecrisis

I've decided to at least go for Hügi, incredibly durable hubs that have already been going for 20 years, and just build it with the Polar's first. I have them anyway. Although I'm still not so sure if the high rims will look good on it, there's only one way to find out.

Re:

Time for an update! I've stripped the frame of all it's parts. So this is what it looks like, after 20 years of riding:

Re:

Next one is the specs list, I've been searching for hours and still not complete.....

And some parts need a little work before they can be used:

M900 crankset before and after :shock:

The parts in RED are still in my possesion from the original build BITD. That's also why I might go for a Vetta Sl it was my saddle of choice back then. I'm going for a not so obvious parts kit on this build (not my style) so might opt for Vetta, although tempted by the classic looks of a flite. That's also why I haven't decided on the headset, I need a silver one, but will it be King.... Still some parts to score and choices to make but I'm on track. This is what I have gathered so far:

Frame: Brodie eXpresso 18" 1994

Fork: Girvin Vector with ODS damper (it'l be painted in frame color)

Headset:TBD
Stem: Roox 110mm
Handlebar: Roox 52cm.
Grips: TBD

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Pads:Shimano XTR M900
Brake Cables: TBD
Cantilever cable hangers: Need to have MOJO'S :twisted:
Brake Levers: Suntour XC-Pro

Shifters: Suntour XC-Pro (sorry they look better than XT's)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M736
Rear Derailleur: Need to be XT 736
Derailleur Cables: TBD
Cassette: TBD
Chain: TBD
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900
Crank Bolts: TBD
Chainrings: TA Specialities 44-36-28
Chainring bolts: Shimano XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB--71
Pedals: need to be some Time ATAC

Hub Skewers: Control tech Ti
Rims: Fir Polar 32 spokes
Hubs: Hügi
Nipples: Sapim
Spokes: DT revolution
Tyres: Front Panaracer Dart rear needs to be Dart Skinwall
Tubes: yes please

Saddle: TBD Vetta or Flite black
Seatpost: Roox
Seatpost Binder: TBD old one has a crack :(

Option: Bottle cage: Ringlé H2O silver, just found one in my parents garage now I have to use it ;) never knew I still had it.

Re:

Nice one, Bart :cool: : off to a good start!
Glad to see you're making the best of this midlife crisis ;)
Looking forward to seeing this (re)build progress..

Ha Ha, I'm back! Though I never really went missing, but I wasn't updating this and underground scoring parts and moving homes. I somehow lost my workshop while moving, and I still have a lot of work to do in the new home. But when it's finished I'll have a workshop again. Now back to the Brodie :D

Suddenly all the parts are coming together nicely: Silver seatpost correct size and brand, nicer crankset (for this build at least, I love the M900's) and my unicorn. Thanks to colleague and fellow retrobiker Scherge78 I have found the missing link for the build on the German forum. I was struggling with brake lever choices, secretly wishing for very hard to find.... Paralevers :facepalm: I know they are weird

They are funky, very 90's, solve a problem that does not exist and I love em. Besides, I was looking for forged levers to match the M910's I want to use. Very happy, as this was the missing link. Now I only need some small parts and a lott of elbow grease to finish it, and of course money to get the paint sorted.

I have build the front wheel this afternoon and only need some more black aliminum niples for the rear. It will still be slow, but at least I'll be able to move and post some updates every now and then.

Smaller brother to mine eXpresso! :)

Looking forward to see what you make of this!

Re:

Hi Dare,

I have been following your build :cool: Mine started yellow but's going to end in another color, hopefully we will both be riding them soon. Good luck finishing it, love the work you've done on it, thumbs up!

Bart

Re:

Cockpit finished and I like it, small steps forward. Roox stem, Simplon Ti straight bar NOS Ritchey grips (thanks again Scherge) XC pro shifters and the Odyssey Paralevers. I gave the bar a brushed finish instead of the original polished finish, I just love brushed ti.

I Will try to remove the powdercoating from my crankset this weekend, if I can find the time, so I can make some more progress.

I love the look of the paralevers. Interested to know how they perform

I just got them this week, before this I had only seen them in ads and pictures. It will take some time before I can give you a performance update. But I agree on the looks :D

Back