Brodie eXpresso 1994 the return - first ride pics page 6

Re: Brodie eXpresso midlifecrisis - almost done

Love the Brodie frames. Really nice bikes.
Love the green, so much nicer than the yellow.
Love the silver decals.

Top work!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys! I can't wait to trow a leg over it again, but must be patient enough to wait. I want it to be completely finished first, so I'll just have to hurry up.

After 2 attempts to reanodize, this is what I have :cry: I give up.

I'm done for now and will start riding it, cannot wait any longer. OK I'll wait for some better weather. It needs some tweaking, final anodizing of the controltech skewers, and a better front fork mounted cable hanger as this one is way too bendy. I will make some better outside pictures when the weather allows.

And this is the spec sheet, some NOS, some new some vintage

Frame: Brodie 94 eXpresso 18"
Fork: Kona Project 2
Headset: Chris King nologo 3DV purple
Stem: Roox 110mm
Handlebar: Simplon Titanium
Grips: Ritchey
Brakes: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR M910
Brake Cables: some silver vintage
Cantilever hangers: front: Ringlé Mojo Repro rear: Kooka
Brake Levers: Odyssey Paralevers
Shifters: Suntour XC Pro
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT 736
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT 735
Derailleur Cables: Ripcord
Cassette: Shimano XT 737 11-28
Chain: KMC X8
Cranks: Roox XC
Crank Bolts: Shimano XTR M900
Chainrings: Small: 28 Middleburn
Middle: Vuelta 36
Large: Vuelta 44
Chainring bolts: Yes
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN72 113mm
Pedals: Odyssey Triple trap or Tima Atack depending on shoes
Hub Skewers: some black ones I think Novatec, until Control tech Ti have correct colour
Rims: Mavic 221 silver NOS
Hubs: Hügi (union) 32 holes 135/100
Nipples: DT Prolock ALU Black
Spokes: DT Competition DB
Front Tyre: Dart 2.1 skinwall
Rear Tyre: Smoke 2.1 skinwall
Tubes: Continental
Bottle Cage Ringlé H2O
Saddle: Vetta
Seatpost: Roox
Seatpost clamp: Salsa Liplock

First ride today, weather is beautiful, so I also took some pictures. Thanks to member ravedavey I have found an original Kona P2 canti hanger which is way stronger than the piece of shit Tektro: brake performance upgrades can be easy. I'm still working on the polishing to better fit in with the rest of the parts, but it's working so let's ride it. Also need to score some purple skewers for the right hand side only, or get the controltech's anodized again... The rear deraileur is not in perfect condition anymore, some rattling noises because of a slight bend and play in the arm, so I'll be on the lookout for a 737 FD 28.6 top pull to match the rear 737 I still have :xmas-wink:

In retrospect: It took me 742 days, and started out with a Girvin fork that didn't make it into the final build. I figured I'd do a retromod, but it ended up period correct. I was right about being slow, moved houses twice which did not help, also finding the parts (for reasonable amounts of cash) proved hard. I am over the moon with finding the paralevers and the chainset, never thought both would be scored: patience paid off. Happy with the P2 fork, stiff which suits the frame well, and I am happy with the small changes to the fork decals in design and placement. I never liked the original yellow colour very much, but hey you cannot be too picky if you are offered a Brodie for a very reasonable price, so I was very happy to finally pick the colour myself. Final build turned out just like I had in mind, too flashy would not suit the bike, but too dull would not reflect me. I think it's well ballanced, but I'll let you judge:

Well balanced, definitely. I'd also throw in classy and beautiful to describe it. The finished product really turned out special. Enjoy!

Lovely colour and great build. I really like the paralevers - how do they perform? Having put in quite a few miles on a 94 Sovereign with a P2 fork I can already guess how the bike rides; I expect you're still smiling :)

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Still smiling, it's hanging on the wall in my livingroom now :) I like the handling of the Brodies with straight leg forks, guess Paul does too judging by the design of his gators. I have a couple days off from work so I can ride again tomorrow!

The paralevers work pretty good, different yes, but hard to say if it's better. It feels like they pull a little more cable than standard levers, but that could also be because my last canti brake bike had V-brake levers on them. Hard to tell if it has an effect on the braking power as I cannot compare to the same setup with only different levers. I'd say they work just as well as any other lever, just feel a bit different and look way cool.

Re:

Lovely build - very tasteful!

If you don't mind sharing, where'd'ya get the little Canadian flag decal for the back of the seat tube?

Re: Re:

k-rod":33y53xba said:
Lovely build - very tasteful!

If you don't mind sharing, where'd'ya get the little Canadian flag decal for the back of the seat tube?

Gil has them on file :)

Back