British Eagle touristique

Homemade chain catcher.

1gmd.jpg

4yes.jpg

Re:

Lovely, lovely bike!

Out of interest, is that a Garmin Dakota that you've had to lash to it's useless mount? What Garmin we're thinking when they came up with that I'll never know. I once spent an hour looking for my mine after it flew off (unnoticed) on a fast, bumpy descent! Bought an Edge 800 after that!

Yep! :roll: Mine once flew off on a fast bumpy descent too, it flew so fast that when it hit the ground it just kept going at almost my speed. I had time to stop and pick it up.
Unfortunately it just keeps working flawlessly after all the falls, i just can´t justify the expense of replacing it. I have been using for the past year a rubber band (just a slice of inner tube) to keep it in place.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I'm in the process of stripping down an old unloved one of these bikes for a restoration and looking for a bit of help?

I rode it around a few times before starting to strip it down and it really felt lovely - smooth and solid but somehow still quite responsive - and very quiet too. I'm turning it into a full on tourer with front and rear racks for hostelling use.

The one problem I had was with front brake judder. The pads and rims are not in a good state at all - both will be replaced in the rebuild - but I wondered if I should be fitting a fork mounted cable hanger at the same time. I have looked at it and the problem would be that the lower fork race projects out enough to make installing the hanger tricky and unlikely to get a clean line in for the cable to the cantis.

Sooo - are there owners of the Touristique out there who could advise me? Do you have brake judder issues at all with the original stem mounted hanger? If you don't I guess I can just stay with the original set-up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cheers,
Jeff.

I had some brake judder initially, i just adjusted the toe-in and never tought about it. I´m still running the same brake blocks that came with the tektros. But i´m not using the original hanger, i have a problem solvers aluminium hanger that clamps on the stem, although it shouldn´t make a difference... :?

Back