BoTM March 2010 - Downhill Special - Nominations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
shovelon":2u5885pa said:
Ok, here is my "Full Suspension Bike".
1990 Offroad, probably XC oriented, but it's dang fast downhill.

OffroadProflex.JPG

:twisted:

Tried to keep my thoughts to myself but can"t. You all need to take another (I assume you all have been there at least once before) trip over to Alan Bonds website:

http://clunkers.net/

Take a close look at these bikes. There are two distinct but overlapping styles. The bikes with the single big front chainring and one single gear choice were not created for cross country riding. They were created for shuttling up the mountain in the back of a pickup truck and or pushed up the hill by an expectant pure downhill rider (sound familiar). As silly and obvious as it is, Repack was a downhill race not cross country (CK, where are you when we need you?). There was another style of bike being created at about the same time that was being used for cross country riding (AB site would call these the hybirds).

If I had my own bomber style Klunker, I would enter it here for BOTM.

I believe Scooterdude

http://clunkers.net/scott41dx/scooterdx.html

has recreated this classic downhill ride and is currently using it for this purpose better than anyone else I have ever read about at this time. I highly reccomend you read the beta he has posted out there about his adventures in this venture......

If you are stating that downhill specific bikes weren't created during the early era of mountainbiking, I reccomend you research your passions roots.....

Cheers,
T

Ductape":14xhkiz9 said:
Tried to keep my thoughts to myself but can"t. You all need to take another (I assume you all have been there at least once before) trip over to Alan Bonds website:

Take a close look at these bikes. There are two distinct but overlapping styles. The bikes with the single big front chainring and one single gear choice were not created for cross country riding. They were created for shuttling up the mountain in the back of a pickup truck and or pushed up the hill by an expectant pure downhill rider (sound familiar). As silly and obvious as it is, Repack was a downhill race not cross country (CK, where are you when we need you?). There was another style of bike being created at about the same time that was being used for cross country riding (AB site would call these the hybirds).

If I had my own bomber style Klunker, I would enter it here for BOTM.

I believe Scooterdude

http://clunkers.net/scott41dx/scooterdx.html

has recreated this classic downhill ride and is currently using it for this purpose better than anyone else I have ever read about at this time. I highly reccomend you read the beta he has posted out there about his adventures in this venture......

If you are stating that downhill specific bikes weren't created during the early era of mountainbiking, I reccomend you research your passions roots.....

Cheers,
T

nobody is arguing that the early mtbs werent designed for downhill - we all know Repack was a dh race. Your points are spot on - one big chainring and lower saddle - big wide bars!! Bikes that have to be put on a truck to get to the top - THAT is a DH bike. I dont doubt that the early bikes had 2 distinct types of bike - but they didnt carry on like that once MTB started appealing to the mass market and the bikes became the geared monsters we see today!!

RTS/Offroad/XC full suss with high saddle flat bars/barends/long stem and triple front that can be ridden to the top of the hill are not DH specific bikes

I would happily see a Klunker on here with a massive front chainring and single gear!!!

There doesnt even need to be a chain on some DH bikes!!!!

great links too!!

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone - those RTS are good looking bikes and I love all bikes of any shape or size (except 1 brand which shall remain nameless so I dont get hate mail......cough GT cough) and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am purely voicing mine

PS Rob - the pace gets my vote!!

(Sbike 909 downhill was with disc brakes and STM fork on 1993 catalogue .)

Well ,
Not personal bike, sold bike for a long time, bike took on the net, bike to my aunt, bike not presented here : Outside please

After ,
the best bike ; I am not judge ...
:D :cool:

Ductape":3qjoq4am said:

hmmm........ Got to agree with that, REPACK was the birth place of what we now term a mountain bike. Probably much to the disdain of XC aficionados this MTB thing all came about because of Downhill. Downhill was mountain biking and I'd be more than happy to see some of these Clunkers on here. Heavy bikes, virtually impossible to ride uphill or on long XC courses and built for the sole purpose of going DOWNHILL.

Now there is a huge difference between these when compared to some of the multi discipline frames with XC setups that are being touted as Downhill bikes. The point I'm trying to make is that ANY bike can be used for DOWNHILL but if we are allowing ANY bike into this BOTM then it would be nice if the DOWNHILL part was at least attempted

Vouilloz used the GT RTS but as soon as the LTS came out he rode one and destroyed the opposition. Vouilloz rode the GT LTS Boomerang to victory at the 1995 Cap d’Ail event by a massive 14.13 second. This is the impact that such specifically designed DH Bikes had on the competition. He then rode a Thermoplastic LTS DH to victory running first generation Rock Shox Boxxers, defeating Palmer on his M1. Surely there are enough 'Retro' DH specific bikes to allow this BOTM to proceed with a bit of common sense.

To me it's these bikes that are the Retrobike Downhill Specials

Scrat":8ef4f1kg said:
OK i'll go.........................

I see that DH rig is running the patented 'invisible disc rotor system' :D

still way cool, I remember Mr Warner riding these :cool:

Ductape":11r149jw said:

very simlar to thje skinner descender of '83, which i was just reading about in a 98 issue if dirt.

I dont think anyone is saying that? more that some people were entering bikes that wernt dh specific

If my gt lts dh had a triple chainset, a light xc fork, flat bars light wheels and raised seat, I wouldn't enter it here. even with the dh frameset its would obviuosly not be a downhill bike.

in the sameway, I would say a small zaskar, with some judy dh, single chainring riser bars etc is a downhill bike. its set up to be so and many people raced theses in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back