BotM February 2020 nominations - Blue Collar Special

Go to a bike park these days & hard to see difference in blue & white collar bikes. Maybe the cars or vans they arrive in.

rwm1962":21gl60kw said:
Go to a bike park these days & hard to see difference in blue & white collar bikes. Maybe the cars or vans they arrive in.

Its because the world today is.................."all fur coat and no Knickers".

Ok, so let me see if I got this right..... Blue collar = bottom to middle of the range mass produced off the peg from your local bike shop?

Then let’s try.... Peachys 1992 Claud Butler Oracle

Build (well more of a wash & brush-up than a build) thread here; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=393528

Attachments

• 0CD4D32B-BB7D-4D72-B5A7-FB80A25AAE62.jpeg
    0CD4D32B-BB7D-4D72-B5A7-FB80A25AAE62.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 1,103
*NB* In case you hadn’t noticed the rims... she is absolutely box fresh now that I’ve replaced the cables and had the saddle repaired... in fact she’s more minty than Mrs Mint from mints ville, mint county, mint land...

Ps if you find the “build” thread has a slightly odd beginning, it’s because the thread started life as an ebay watch as the bike travelled around the U.K. before finding its way to me...

Hmmm, "blue collar"... does an LX bike fit in that costed 1000 GBP back in 1994? Is that still mid-range? (I suppose it does as the top range was 2500 GBP...)

WimVDD":17xcx6bu said:
Hmmm, "blue collar"... does an LX bike fit in that costed 1000 GBP back in 1994? Is that still mid-range?

Who knows?
I do know that here in the U.K. all I could afford in 1998 was a £280 bottom of the range Giant & I’d graduated seven years before that and was at that point a director of Ltd company... I certainly didn’t think of myself as blue collar...*

*NB, neither do I think anyone else should consider themselves “blue collar” or any other potentially perceived derogatory term..... :| perhaps the theme should be re-named...

Peachy!":3txjv85n said:
WimVDD":3txjv85n said:
Hmmm, "blue collar"... does an LX bike fit in that costed 1000 GBP back in 1994? Is that still mid-range?

Who knows?
I do know that here in the U.K. all I could afford in 1998 was a £280 bottom of the range Giant & I’d graduated seven years before that and was at that point a director of Ltd company... I certainly didn’t think of myself as blue collar...

Nowadays I see "blue collars" riding 5000 € bikes...

Peachy!":242hd8f4 said:
WimVDD":242hd8f4 said:

Who knows?
I do know that here in the U.K. all I could afford in 1998 was a £280 bottom of the range Giant & I’d graduated seven years before that and was at that point a director of Ltd company... I certainly didn’t think of myself as blue collar...

But in 1997 I was most definitely a very blue collar squaddie and I spent £1099.99 on an M2 Stumpjumper. My bike was worth more than my car (they still are tbf). Like most things it's about priorities.
I think the point is that hand-built and high end exotica do not meet the blue collar description. It's not really that complex. Look through any BoTM comp from the past and the exotica is easy to spot. In any case, if you think it fits, stick it in and Raidan will make the decision as to whether it fits in his mind. ;)

Back