Bike Smuggling - Overburys Pioneer 3 Hour Build.

Personally, I think bikes of a certain age, like this (or up to 1990 ish), look a little wrong/weird with forks, but then if it's getting used go for it. Can always change it back, but be prepared that I reckon 90% of people here will say no !

A fair view well put. The more I look at it it would be 'like a carbuncle on the face of an old friend'.

I'm not a purist by any stretch but perhaps there's a similar size sexy Saracen somewhere that might be experimented with? :mrgreen:

Would it work ?
the geometry of that frame was built with the original forks, so would the Pace not bring the wheel further in ?

what sort Pace forks and where will you find a steerer long enough.

Geometry should be fine as long as travel isnt excessive.

I wouldn't go with the forks personally but the site would be pretty boring for me if everyone built things exactly the way I would :D

From time to time brand new Ti steerers which fit Pace forks pop up on ebay (in Germany IIRC) for about £35 I think.

Pace cycles have new steerer tubes in stock

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=355

STEERER TUBES Now in stock. Price plus P&P @£4.20
1 1/8″ Ahead steel; length 260mm above crown; £39.95 (inc crown race collar)
1 1/8″ Threaded steel; total length 240mm including amount which goes into crown. Thread length is 60mm; £29.95
1″ Ahead steel; length 285mm above crown; £29.95
1″ Threaded steel; sizes 135/170/200mm; £29.95 (these lengths refer to amount of steerer above crown)
1″ Ahead aluminium; length 250mm above crown; £49.95

How much travel will that geometry allow ?

Thanks both, that's really useful. More food for thought.

Have just agreed to take in a stray 88 22" Saracen that will satisfy my need for fiddling for now.

This, the pioneer, rides really well as is. I suppose it would completely change the characteristics and upset the alchemy of the original build as it was bespoke for the previous owner who is my size and weight.

If it ain't broke.......

Back