Bike Smuggling - Overburys Pioneer 3 Hour Build.

This is the only gate-sized 26" wheeled bike i've ridden that doesn't ride like one. Once you're on it you forget the size. Longest head tube i've ever seen. Still my favourite rigid with a very fast steering, direct front end.

Si_33":f30g7i6y said:
Great photo on Cleeve Common. Many fond memories of Cheltenham days.... Perhaps a Retrobike ride up Prescott Hill Climb could be arranged! Your Pioneer looks grand - top job :)

Been there.........

Re:

I dont get the comment that its the only gate sized bike you've ridden that doesn't ride like one.

If your a giant then the only bikes you've ridden that rode well would have to be big. If they were too small for you they would probably not have been good to ride and so it follows that this bike must ride like a bike that is too small for you. If it does, how can that be a good thing :?

I'm 6'6", the bikes that ride great for me are gates. If it didn't ride like a gate i'd find it too small and painful.

Otherwise the bike looks very cool :cool:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":1whg8cyz said:
I dont get the comment that its the only gate sized bike you've ridden that doesn't ride like one.

If your a giant then the only bikes you've ridden that rode well would have to be big. If they were too small for you they would probably not have been good to ride and so it follows that this bike must ride like a bike that is too small for you. If it does, how can that be a good thing :?

I'm 6'6", the bikes that ride great for me are gates. If it didn't ride like a gate i'd find it too small and painful.

Otherwise the bike looks very cool :cool:

The other larger (gates) I have had and have, have been much longer and shallower geometry and wheelbase and felt much slower steering and of a generally less responsive nature. This one rides in a less relaxed manner. Better for shorter rides but not for all day.

"Well" would very much depend on your point of view and intended use. Some days i want to ride a gate-like bike. That's why I kept my 88 531 Alves. Not a value judgement, just a comment on ride style.

EDIT: you can see the differences in this old pic. Both 'gates' but very different rides.

Attachments

• alv ov.jpg
    alv ov.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,054
The History Man":3rsh7jjg said:
Si_33":3rsh7jjg said:
Great photo on Cleeve Common. Many fond memories of Cheltenham days.... Perhaps a Retrobike ride up Prescott Hill Climb could be arranged! Your Pioneer looks grand - top job :)

Been there.........

Nice! What was the event?

Just a ride with NeilM. Popped in on our way past as you do. I live a couple of miles away.

ever get the feeling you're being watched?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_af.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_af.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 783
Re:

In tribute to that head tube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74ttSR8lEg[/youtube]

Re:

Latest incarnation

Attachments

• 8CC563D9-42B3-429E-9CFA-90AA6680BF4A.jpeg
    8CC563D9-42B3-429E-9CFA-90AA6680BF4A.jpeg