BoTM Bike of The Month August 2022 - Original owner special - now taking entries

Bike of The Month
I'm in 👍

My old trusty warhorse bought by working my socks off as a 15 year old kid in 1991.
Bashed and crashed ...raced and sunk ...and it's still alive and kicking.
Triggers broomed for 25 years until first ride out today on it since climbing Mt Afan about 6 years ago!
Kept clean and treated ..mean.😁

View attachment 653159

View attachment 653160

A few pics of its resurection and some stories to laugh at here...

Great year for GT with such cool paint jobs. it's come up a treat so the flattening, t-cutting and polishing mentioned in your thread has paid off! 👍

However I think you've been a tad aggressive cleaning the tyres as all the treads have been polished off! :oops: 🤣😜

Great year for GT with such cool paint jobs. it's come up a treat so the flattening, t-cutting and polishing mentioned in your thread has paid off! 👍

However I think you've been a tad aggressive cleaning the tyres as all the treads have been polished off! :oops: 🤣😜
Yes definitely better for a bit more graft,if I could find some blue that's real close I think I'd have a go at the white bits....all the little nicks and clonks are easyish to lose ...I'm shocked at those tyres even though they're a bit old they roll great on the road ...good on gravel too....we'll see how long it takes before a crispy sidewall pops 😆

Yes definitely better for a bit more graft,if I could find some blue that's real close I think I'd have a go at the white bits....all the little nicks and clonks are easyish to lose ...I'm shocked at those tyres even though they're a bit old they roll great on the road ...good on gravel too....we'll see how long it takes before a crispy sidewall pops 😆
Those tyres do look like fun to ride, as long as the sidewalls hold up!

Was going to enter my marin, but realised the only original bits are the frame and the crank arms..🤣.

Might be pushing the limits a bit.....although all the stuff dates from pre 92 when i bought the parts for the bikes various upgrades.

Was going to enter my marin, but realised the only original bits are the frame and the crank arms..🤣.

Might be pushing the limits a bit.....although all the stuff dates from pre 92 when i bought the parts for the bikes various upgrades.
If the string the broom hangs on,the broom stick or the brush head was bought new by you that's good enough...👍

Ok..go on then...i will chance it.

TOOTYRED - 1989 TEAM MARIN

Ramblings and more images about the bikes life can be found at...

20210907_090113.jpg 20210907_090133.jpg

Last edited:

I think that’s totally fine. Especially if they were changed along the journey. A brand new build to an old bare frame might be at the border of pushing

I think that's fine (and looking good) @Tootyred

The main requirement is that the frame has been owned from new

My first BoTM entry :LOL:

Canuckbiker’s 1987 Ritchey Ascent

Build thread here
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1987-richey-ascent-homecoming.438852/

Bought new from the Bike Shop in Calgary Alberta in 1988. Frame/fork/stem/seatpost only, and build up with parts from what I was riding at the time, many XT upgrades over couple years following.

Full restoration last December/January.

The most miles I’ve put on any bike have been on this one 😁
8E2C7E13-72AC-4788-B713-84086928656C.jpeg
91ED238A-DEFF-4798-B68A-259D92CE3CCB.jpeg

Back