Bicycle suspension is evil

Re:

Took the 8yr old kid out for a technical ride today through lots of twisty trees and over gnarly roots. Trained her to pick her lines, ride out of the saddle, shift her weight, feel the trail and balance the bike, which is fully rigid for now. She never fell off and dabbed only once - maaaan was I so proud of her :mrgreen:

plenty of obsolete rigid frames too. just try buying 1" 1/4 headsets or 395mm rigid forks

Re: Re:

shedobits":1sv6w2mu said:
Nausea Got all of my Maverick parts from Ethan Franklyn at "The Flow Zone". He used to be their Tech Support Manager and now sells NOS and remanufactured parts for these bikes.

This is great to know when it's time for another new frame... Thanks for the tip!

Went for small up front suspension because I was sick of my watch bouncing it's way into my skin, filling my glove with blood. Still hard tail rear though :)

I enjoyed very much the blog post, it makes a nice change to read something in the cycling press that hasn't lost touch with reality.

I used to think suspension was unnecessary, mainly when lived in Devon where most of my riding was on damp soil rather than rocks, and I was right in that environment. But now I live where nearly every trail is clustered with rocks and roots, and because it's so dry here even the smooth parts of trails give major trail buzz, so I really do need suspension of some kind now. I also have a bit of a bad back.

When I say suspension, I include the fat tyres on my fatbike, which turn out to be basically as good as having a suspension fork for the trails round here. If it wasn't for the extra resistance on tarmac, I'd probably use my fatbike as my main ride.

But in terms of distance / endurance riding, FS is what works best for me, with these trails. Climbing on my old FS Marin was often easier than on my steel hardtail, and of course descending was easier too. I'd probably get a light weight FS 29er if I had the money and space.

In conclusion, I like suspension!

ultrazenith":2igomlro said:
I enjoyed very much the blog post, it makes a nice change to read something in the cycling press that hasn't lost touch with reality.

I used to think suspension was unnecessary, mainly when lived in Devon where most of my riding was on damp soil rather than rocks, and I was right in that environment. But now I live where nearly every trail is clustered with rocks and roots, and because it's so dry here even the smooth parts of trails give major trail buzz, so I really do need suspension of some kind now. I also have a bit of a bad back.

When I say suspension, I include the fat tyres on my fatbike, which turn out to be basically as good as having a suspension fork for the trails round here. If it wasn't for the extra resistance on tarmac, I'd probably use my fatbike as my main ride.

But in terms of distance / endurance riding, FS is what works best for me, with these trails. Climbing on my old FS Marin was often easier than on my steel hardtail, and of course descending was easier too. I'd probably get a light weight FS 29er if I had the money and space.

In conclusion, I like suspension!

It's a good read and the basic reinventing the rigid 90's MTB with gravel bikes etc and road 'plus' sized offroad tyres

But if you didn't read it and think it's just about suspension, then read it as it's not really about suspension.

I really do like the one bottle and little food rule.

Latest posts

Back