Dave Yates. Global Expedition.

Excellent - thanks for sharing! I really enjoy these reads and tales of adventure
It takes bravery, balls and heart along with plenty of brains and planning to do such things and This Dave Yates is worth all the more because of what it’s achieved

I don’t know if anyone is interested in travel, exploration and adventure writing - but my personal hero is The late Great Major HW Tillman - explorer, mountaineer and also a war hero.
His cycling adventure as retold in ‘Snow on the Equator’ has to be the most impressive yet - cut a long story short, he didn’t want to catch a steamer bound for England from his home in east Africa so he decided to cycle - the year was I believe 1932 - with a map of Africa ripped out of national geographic to guide him he bought himself a Raleigh Roadster - loafed it up and headed off westwards from Mombasa towards West coast of Africa - alone. No maps, no companions - and this was through lands where non natives had seldom trodden - nights spent in the savannah and in the valleys with his bike for company. And it survived - the old Raleigh. It eventually made its way to Barmouth with him - I wonder where it is now?

Back