Bianchi Martini Racing Titanio Team 1997

Re: Bianchi Reparto Corse Titanium Martini Racing XC

This is my 1998 Reparto Corse FY-620 NTH. I love it.

Attachments

• 20201007_131731.jpg
    20201007_131731.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 388

ibbz":3uq18vct said:
The Ultimates are appreciating in value and now are very expensive compared to a few years ago.

Question - are bikes and bike parts an investment? Or could they be?

Buy Iconic Bike's or a Bike you can relate with. I think handmade makes a huge difference. Some people love lugs, tubing or originality. I love 26" wheel handmade stuff. Cheap to buy and maintain. It's a useable classic to most people. The age of the classic car is on a downturn. But low cost reliable transport is always sought after and if it's got style, it only increases the value.

Looking at good handmade road bikes the price has been steady for a long time and only increased significantly when bike shops started running low on stock. However a MTB is much more Utilitarian and people can get good value out of a MTB bike.

I try and buy stuff that's a little different. Not really as a Investment more a hobby. I am just learning maintenance right now. Self taught using guides and youtube videos. Getting on a cycle course is going to be hard, so taking apart bikes and putting them back together with new cabels etc. Its quite therapeutic.

I see certain bikes being sought after if it's anything like the classic car trade. Race Bikes, Show Bikes and Custom Bikes being popular. Bikes like cars often benefiting from Patina or History. All of them however are worth much more as handmade. (To me anyway)

However you get the best value out of a bike if you use it. Ideally, if you are buying something to out last yourself and use, steel is king. I like steel frames as they last, but with suspension bikes aluminum makes sense.

I hope you like my style. (The Pink one is shocking)

Try not to buy for Investment unless it is super rare and handmade. But likewise don't be afraid to pay a little more for a good reliable bike. Especially if you are using it.

Attachments

• 20201009_083756.jpg
    20201009_083756.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 381
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 16.56.18.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 16.56.18.png
    577.5 KB · Views: 381

Curveking":ep2tgpaw said:
ibbz":ep2tgpaw said:
The Ultimates are appreciating in value and now are very expensive compared to a few years ago.

Question - are bikes and bike parts an investment? Or could they be?

Buy Iconic Bike's or a Bike you can relate with. I think handmade makes a huge difference. Some people love lugs, tubing or originality. I love 26" wheel handmade stuff. Cheap to buy and maintain. It's a useable classic to most people. The age of the classic car is on a downturn. But low cost reliable transport is always sought after and if it's got style, it only increases the value.

Looking at good handmade road bikes the price has been steady for a long time and only increased significantly when bike shops started running low on stock. However a MTB is much more Utilitarian and people can get good value out of a MTB bike.

I try and buy stuff that's a little different. Not really as a Investment more a hobby. I am just learning maintenance right now. Self taught using guides and youtube videos. Getting on a cycle course is going to be hard, so taking apart bikes and putting them back together with new cabels etc. Its quite therapeutic.

I see certain bikes being sought after if it's anything like the classic car trade. Race Bikes, Show Bikes and Custom Bikes being popular. Bikes like cars often benefiting from Patina or History. All of them however are worth much more as handmade. (To me anyway)

However you get the best value out of a bike if you use it. Ideally, if you are buying something to out last yourself and use, steel is king. I like steel frames as they last, but with suspension bikes aluminum makes sense.

I hope you like my style. (The Pink one is shocking)

Try not to buy for Investment unless it is super rare and handmade. But likewise don't be afraid to pay a little more for a good reliable bike. Especially if you are using it.

I pretty much concur
I only buy stuff if I like it and want to use it - I like wristwatches and if I were a shrewd investor I’d have been minted but I’m not ! Same with film cameras which I use.
Some funky unique bikes you have there bro! Nice one and nice collection !

As regards bikes - I’d never buy one as an investment or to make a profit - I buy as I like and appreciate workmanship - i have noticed that some components prices are sky rocketing year after year. Ultimates being an example

Re:

I'll occasionally buy bikes and suspension forks as an investment & a reason to hang out in the garage. If I can find a bike that piques my interest or a suspension fork that is worth the time I'll rebuild, repair and tune. Ride for a while until the next one comes along and sell. Rinse & repeat. Scratches the itch of a new bike, keeps the clutter down and is usually a fun project.

In fact I'm transitioning bikes right now, out with the mint condition 93 steel stumpy, in with the 1986 Fisher Mt. Tam that needs a ton of love.

Attachments

• 00S0S_fZozYRzlk9p_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00S0S_fZozYRzlk9p_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 374

Quick update
Saddle sorted
Flite Ti in Red
Front mech - Has to be my Sachs Quarz!

Attachments

• DA0ED0CE-AAC7-4DB8-847A-700ECA66EE37.jpeg
    DA0ED0CE-AAC7-4DB8-847A-700ECA66EE37.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 364
  • B1EAE510-5DDA-4BB8-A3E0-3FA13FD5BCF0.jpeg
    B1EAE510-5DDA-4BB8-A3E0-3FA13FD5BCF0.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 366
Re: Re:

eshew":1x5ws556 said:
Oooh nice choices! Might have to copy your front d idea
:LOL: good choice - I’ve a soft spot for Sachs stuff - the Dynatech in my sig has Sachs new success F and R plus shifters too. If this were 8 speed I’d have gone with the Quarz rear D too! In hindsight I should’ve seen your build first and got myself Sram XO rear to go with the Sachs

Re: Re:

eshew":1y1k4uw9 said:
I'll occasionally buy bikes and suspension forks as an investment & a reason to hang out in the garage. If I can find a bike that piques my interest or a suspension fork that is worth the time I'll rebuild, repair and tune. Ride for a while until the next one comes along and sell. Rinse & repeat. Scratches the itch of a new bike, keeps the clutter down and is usually a fun project.

In fact I'm transitioning bikes right now, out with the mint condition 93 steel stumpy, in with the 1986 Fisher Mt. Tam that needs a ton of love.
Am liking that Fisher!!
What’re your plans?

A quick update
I added a few parts just to see how it all looks
The golden hued Ritchey WCS Prolite bar weighs next to nothing and I just admit looks stunning - as does the matching front hub. I really like the Avid SD 2.0L levers - and the M970 shifters. The metal levers need a nice clean and buff with some metal cleaner.
The Sachs Quarz mech is staying - im very happy with the complete look - next few days I’ll be able to put it together with the tyres Grips bar ends etc - need a bottom bracket for the cranks and that’s all (a part from cables)

Attachments

• A8C79473-0FFF-432E-ACDF-6A9AA7913AF4.jpeg
    A8C79473-0FFF-432E-ACDF-6A9AA7913AF4.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 506
  • D089E1D6-F889-4163-86A5-33442C62DBC3.jpeg
    D089E1D6-F889-4163-86A5-33442C62DBC3.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 506
Back