Best way to run Vs on Canti Kona frames

Here are a couple of pics of my '94 Cinder Cone with Avid V's mounted. I use the original skinny dog collar plus one of the grommets that Drapoon kindly gave me, and a short length of Nokon sectional cabling. The Nokon could arguably lose a section and maybe two but the brake feels good so I'll leave it for now.

I've pretty much given up on Nokon outers for gear cables but still use it to run from the cable stop to the rear brake on most of my bikes.

Apologies for the mediocre (and overly large) pics but I was rushing before the battery packed in!

Cheers, Gareth.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,393
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,393
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,393
i've taken it a stage further than garethRL, abandoning the noodle in favour of more nokon with just a noodle end on it to hold it into the brake

it's dark when i get home but i'll phot it saturday

Interesting! It hadn't even occurred to me to try that. I'll have to look to see how much Nokon I have left lying around and maybe give it a go.

All seems complicated and a bit ugly that nokon look. A kona deserves something tidy and sleek. Helps if you have a lathe to turn the little brass widget though!! simplicity is the key, heres mine....

main.php

choppstar - is that a fairly sizable frame? it seems much easier to run it on bigger sizes

Mine is 17" and with the setup as shown in my pics I measure 8cm directly from the dog collar/grommet interface to the tip of the noodle. I can imagine that for smaller frames you would either want to go with just Nokon, or try to cut down and reshape a noodle.

It also looks as though your later, chunkier collar places the cable exit point about 1.5 cm (maybe more) closer towards the brake than mine, and when you're limited for space anyway then that could make a difference.

I'll be interested to see pics of your setup. Did you find that the rounded part of the Nokon section mates well with the 'noodle engaging clip' on the brake arm (don't know the right word, sorry!)? Or did you need to use the part of the noodle that normally engages there?

Cheers, Gareth.

Its a 19", so biggish i suppose. You can get it looking quite tidy though. The only thing that annoys me slightly is that the cable is not as close to the top tube as it should be near the dog collar. Only a minor niggle though!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

This came up in previous topic in link above. My frame is 17.5" and I found the seat tube turned under braking with any sort of noodle between the bake and the guide. I use a small wheel device that is designed to gear up canti lever pull length, to use them with V-brakes. It helps the cable turn the corner sharper on the smaller frame, it works perfectly.

njgoldby - i found that as soon as things turned muddy that method went bad - cable got jammed and things just stopped working

Back