Alternative to Kona dog collar ?

JCS

Kona Fan
The plastic dog collar on my 91 Cinder Cone has broken.
Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to route the inner cable , as I know the Kona dog collars are very hard to find?

One idea I had (which would be a bodge) is to zip tie a 2 inch length of outer cable to the seat post, so the outer cable acts as a ‘noodle’ as on very early Kona’s. I might even try this… but any other ideas very much welcome !

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Seems mk found one

The zip tie methods works, you can also buy a problem solvers clamp to use if you want it to be a bit more elegant.

There’s that seat post cable thing that goes in between the seatpost clamp, looks cleaner and probably works better

Thanks for the tip and the link. That would be my first choice, and I almost hit 'buy it now'.

But then i thought - how would I attach it to my frame?

On my frame the metal dog collar cannot slide over the top of the seat tube, because the seat bolt is in the way. The plastic dog collar I have can open up and flex around the top (rather than sliding over the top).

1683960173481.png

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the tip and the link. That would be my first choice, and I almost hit 'buy it now'.

But then i thought - how would I attach it to my frame?

On my frame the metal dog collar cannot slide over the top of the seat tube, because the seat bolt is in the way. The plastic dog collar I have can open up and flex around the top (rather than sliding over the top).

View attachment 739680

Ha, good point.

Something like this then?

If plastic is strong enough can it bec3d printed? I'd need measurements but I'd be happy to give it a try.

That post bolt location is problematic. Was going to suggest one of these options, but the orientation is wrong View attachment 739734View attachment 739733
That’s a good idea actually… I could potentially mount that type of hanger on the Allen bolt of the plastic dog collar (imagine the dog collar is the seat clamp in the photo above).
Then I could make a ‘noodle’ around the seatpost with a piece of outer cable - with the other end of the outer cable either clamped or zip tied to the top tube…

Would be a bit Heath Robinson but could work.

The other option is to get a 3D printer to make a new dog collar - or buy another plastic dog collar - if I can find one.

Back