Best Bang 29er

paulswheels

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm thinking of going modern and would like advice/opinions on the best bang for the dollar FS 29er xc bike. Not needing to be brand spanking "new" bike. I'm 5'9" not sure if that matters. Just weighing out some options

Is there any particular reason why you want to go to a 29er? There are plenty of 26" bargains to be had now that the cartwheel bandwagon has rolled into town along with it's slightly smaller tweener (27.5) brother ;)

Re:

Most I've spoken with one the trails said 9er over 27.5 and 26er as the tend to roll better.
No actual experience on one myself or my friends. Might just demo one and check the hype out myself. Also the back is getting more tender with age and the more upright position is intriquing.

I'd be looking at a giant full suss 29 er. Stopped doing them now, but bearings etc all same for 27.5 so no issues on parts I think.

Can get good deals around £1000 online

Re:

Both good choices and hold their value.

To be honest neither are bad bikes.

Let us know what you get. Id love to try a full suss 29er

Re:

29er FS is ace and I love my Orange 5 29. Very fast indeed.

What's your budget? As mentioned, Canyon are killer value and seem to review well. You won't go far wrong with Specialized or Giant, altough Giant are to drop 29ers in favour of 650b for some reason.

Have you seen the new On-One FS? Codine I think. That's superb value.

If you fancy an Orange there's some good looking deals on ex-demo Gyro's + 5 29's on the Orange website.

Re:

If you're going down the small frame + 29er route just checkout that your toe doesn't buzz on the front wheel like a road bike.
TBH the bigger wheels help with my bad back though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back