Best Bang 29er

Re:

Aye, Definitely looked at plenty of hardtails, much much more pocket friendly and well appointed. Alas full suss is the way I'm am heading. Still trying to fatten the ol wallet for any bike actually. So we'll see where the journey heads for me. Very difficult letting go some of the retro stuff n the quiver :cry:

True, but if they aren't being used not a lot of point keeping them.

Kee the kilaeua if I were you but the rest, whilst nice, are more common and more easily available if you wanted to buy another back at a later date.

Re:

The Zaskar and Kilaeua are the work horses, Amplifier just left the stable, The Hot is not going anywhere. One dale and one Avalanche are my sons so go there. The BoTE hopefully will find a new home shortly. Slowly things are shifting :D

Be careful trying to get too cute with your budget on a 29er. For example, the rims on a 29 will flex - often noticeably - more than an identical set in size 26. To get a decent one it's best to avoid the stuff below about £1200 or so.

The other factor is the riding you do. I found with my Carve that 29" hoops would clog up with mud just the same as a 26, but with the extra rim and tyre area would carry several kilos more crud, completely negating the other advantages of the big rim. If I lived somewhere with a better climate I'd have been happy, but I've found 650 the be the happy modern medium, but even my old Retro 26ers suffer less in heavy clag than a 700c.

I was originally in a minority, but there's a growing body of folk who think 700c is best left for the road. Giant, the world's biggest selling bike manufacturer by some margin, agree as they've ditched all their 700c MTB s for 2015, reverting to 650B as the mainstay, with a few 26ers at their entry level.

Anyway, my meat could be you poison, so if you really like 29ers then you go for it, but I'd urge you to avoid cheap stuff (though there is the odd gem, such a Voodoos range), and buy according to how it performs, not the bling it wears.

Re:

Try a 29er hardtail....I had a few 26" full suss bikes and went to a 29er hardtail. I found that the bigger wheels of the 29er and lower running pressure (running tubeless tyres), made the ride like a full suss but with less travel more a kinda damping! But enough to notice the wheel size difference over a 26" Add the weight savings over a full suss and it has my vote. My Santa Cruz probably cost around £1300 to build up and it could be done cheaper and is a joy to ride.

Doug

Never thought of the issue with the extra mud on a larger wheel and more rotating mass to deal with..interesting. Speaking to a few people involved in the industry it seems 650b may well become the industry standard in time.

Re:

Well here is where I've landed at the moment.
Neither one is a 29'er but both are full suss.
1997 Santa Cruz Heckler and a 2000 Intense Tracer
I really like both of them and my trusted hard tails are being used less
and less. Next step is to add discs to the Intense.
Been speaking with loads of chaps on the trails about 29ers and almost all
have said go 27.5. So I am still in pursuit for a newer style ride just not as quickly as I would have been with the addition of these 2 bikes :D
Slowly getting more modern.

Attachments

• SantaRocky.jpeg
    SantaRocky.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 20140731_162403.jpg
    20140731_162403.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 375
  • Tracer.jpg
    Tracer.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 375
I too am considering moving up a size for my regular MTB from a 26". I worry about the sales patter that has been given for both 29 and 650b though and just worry that it will be another fad that will disappear.

My current ride would be replaced, I have looked at many, but am leaning towards a Vitus Rapide 275 (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod107045), anyone had a chance to ride one?

THis means my 2005 Tomac Taos would be up for sale ;)

Attachments

• Tomac Taos.jpg
    Tomac Taos.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 352
Re:

Ridden a 27.5", many 26"s and a own a 29er...if it was me go for a 29er...not enough of a change with the 27.5 to warrant the downsides of a larger wheel...If you are going to go big, do it properly 29" and you will notice the benefits, 27.5 is just too close to 26".

...just my opinion after 18 months of riding 29ers...(and still my retro 26ers!)

Doug

Back