Early 2ks Rond O24U vs 2023 SR Suntour xcr air

xtaffa

Gary Fisher Fan
My lad is banging on about wanting upgrade forks for his Vitus nucleus 26 (new this July ffs…too much poring over mbuk…)

I think I’m going to gift him my fox talas forks for Xmas to square the circle of not crushing his desires whilst not spending money on replacing the front end of a brand new bike… So I’d be left with either adopting the suntour xcr 100mm air forks he’s got on the Vitus, or finally replacing the seals on a set of rond o24u 100mm air forks…oem flavour, so no rebound adjust etc.

Thinking the open bath and Germanic build quality of the rond-Maguras will be the best bet, but better informed thoughts appreciated!

I have no experience with the Rond fork, but I've read that the OEM type Suntour forks benefit greatly with some lube applied to the lowers. I have two mid-level Suntour forks and a lowers service is very quick and easy. I would think the XCR is the same. Plenty of tech videos on the Suntour site.

I run two pairs of Magura Rond forks: Quake C, and Quake Air. I also had a pair of O24U for a couple of years until about 12 months ago. Personally I think they're an underrated fork. Stiff, for an older fork, with a plush ride. Much better than many, more common, forks of the era. Getting a service kit and seals might be a challenge.

SGS cycles used to stock them.

I run two pairs of Magura Rond forks: Quake C, and Quake Air. I also had a pair of O24U for a couple of years until about 12 months ago. Personally I think they're an underrated fork. Stiff, for an older fork, with a plush ride. Much better than many, more common, forks of the era. Getting a service kit and seals might be a challenge.

SGS cycles used to stock them.
Yep, they felt fairly smooth but looked very oily the short while I had them on/tried them out…. And a lot of watery grey slop and fatty deposits inside lowers when has a look inside them a while back… Enduro seals said their 30mm marzocchi seal kits fit. Might be time to get them open again!

Back