Hope hose braided Vs standard plus length q

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got some brakes that I'm going to send to hope for a service. They are new to me (tech 3), and have had their hose cut being removed from previous owners bike.

I'm not sure yet what bike I'm going to use them on, but need to send them to hope complete. I'm going to refresh the lids, levers and adjusters before sending, but not sure if I should swap out the standard front hose and fit a rear in braided form, or just ad a standard rear hose. I have both so it doesn't matter to me which, just not sure what the merits of braided over standard hose really is. I've read that it's harder to fit standard fitting kit on braided hose, but that's about it. Are braided worth it, benefit wise? What are the benefits in reality?

Next q is hose length. As I'm not sure what bike I'm going to fit them to yet, I need to fit hose to the rear brake. What length would you go for? Bike wise it will be a large 26er or maybe a large 29er.

I did a little research into this question a bit back, and the conclusion of that was there is no difference performance wise between standard black hose and braided. So save those pennies.

This revelation, which will have some people weeping into their hands, and other screaming abuse that it isnt true because if it was their fragile world would come crashing down around them, is the simple truth of it.

Black - Does the job,Is easier to cut/square off. Cheaper to replace.
Braided - Does the job, More choice of colours, Difficult to cut/square off, Heavier, More expensive.

Don't think any other mtb brake manufacturer even has braided as an option. I think that tells you all you need to know.
I used Goodridge hoses on one bike with a particularly tight loop due to the suspension linkage and the braided hose was a bit more flexible. Like Dyna-ti says, the and absolute pig to cut neatly. Any scraggy end makes the hardware a nightmare to fit.

Agree with all the above, only real difference for me is aesthetics, and then only really look good on certain set-ups, older silver hope brakes for one.

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with black.

Any advice on a decent length to go for on the rear hose. Likely use is a large 26er.

I either use a suitable piece of wire in place on the bike to get an idea of length or more often buy a large coil of hose and cut to suit.

Don't forget to do what I've just done.
1. Feed the rear hose through the frame with great difficulty.
2. Cut it just right for the 720mm bars.
3. Buy set of 800mm bars.

But its ok, because I manged to damage the end of the hose 2" in, trying to grab it with needle nosed pliers, so I'll probably have to replace it anyway.

Back