Anyone recommend a netbook?

chris667":ih41fs9e said:
I've got one, and I agree, it's good.

But I don't think it's that well made. It makes an annoying clicking noise when the fan starts, and the hinge for the screen is becoming a bit, well, flaccid. Plus, I think it's a more sophisticated device than it needs to be. IMO, a netbook should not need fans or a large hard disk, making it fanless and solid state would give it better battery life and make it more reliable.

I could sort these things out, but it's the mechanic's car syndrome, I never fix my own computers!

You need more than 6-8hrs battery!! :shock: :shock:
I have loads of movies on mine so the hard drive size was the reason i bought it, I suppose its all about buying the right tool for your needs bud ;)
And for build quality, It's holding together better than Mr's P's £1500 Sony VAIO job, great spec on that but falling to pieces after maybe 10 months! very VERY dissapointed with sony!! :evil:
PC world and places will be doing cracking deals on the NC10 after Chrimbo, or dig about on-line.
I searched for months to make sure I got the right one, & it's still getting great reviews.
Huge spec for a wee thing:
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
3 x USB
SD card slot
250 gb hd
windows xp , though Im gonna try 7 later this week ;)

Oh Yeah, And the fan aint exactly intrusive! LOL

Gc

While it's fairly energy efficient, speaking as someone who is interested in that sort of thing its power consumption is still more than it could be. I'm off grid sometimes, and if I was at the minute I'd have to pay for charging that battery in diesel, you can't depend on solar all the time unless you have deep pockets.

And it would be much more reliable if it didn't require moving parts to keep it from failing, or sucking dirt inside its case.

Don't get me wrong, Enid, it's good for what it is, and numpteen times better than anything Sony or HP makes. But it's fair to say it's closer to a laptop than the original netbook concept.

perry":35ohnemn said:
Not too sure but possibly spring kind of time . I think the pine trail is the one that will take over from the atom processor , worth keeping an eye on .
Good wee review up on the next-gen atom stuff: http://techreport.com/articles.x/18167

Summary, expect slightly better battery life, but not a lot else in terms of significant improvement over the current atom chipset.

perry":3m2bvnnw said:
Have a look at the msi wind u100 . I'm very happy with mine .

You might want to wait a while for the next lot of intel processors and graphics chips though .

This site is worth keeping an eye on

http://www.liliputing.com/

got the same, upgraded, the ram, replaced the heatsink, and HDD, nice little thing

Matt - would that be the windstille ? thinking of getting one myself , I've considered making one but it's finding the time and inclination :LOL:

I took the fan out to see what the temps would be like but it got a bit too warm to be reliable , I'm hoping a windstille will mean I can remove the fan permanently .

A lot of netbooks are cloned for different countries , I've read there are 18 different u100s around the world . If you want a samsung see if it's branded as something else where you live .

Back